where is the Horn Relay located

depronman

A2OC Donor
Hi,
Working through some faults on my new A2 1.4 petrol and the horn does not work, checked fuse 8 and all is OK, also checked the horn itself which is also OK, wiring to the horn that I can see also appears to be OK, so next logical thing is the relay, but after much googling and searching on the A2OC forum I cannot find anything that tells me were the relay lives

Any help as always much appreciated

Cheers,

Hi,
Working through some faults on my new A2 1.4 petrol and the horn does not work, checked fuse 8 and all is OK, also checked the horn itself which is also OK, wiring to the horn that I can see also appears to be OK, so next logical thing is the relay, but after much googling and searching on the A2OC forum I cannot find anything that tells me were the relay lives

Any help as always much appreciated

Cheers,

Try googling "audi a2 horn relay location" you get some hits and even some images of its location.

The A2OC forum search is very poor.

Steve B

When you say "Under tray" You mean the panel around the fuses I assume!

Not the engine under tray ;)

Steve B

well, I removed the trim panel under the steering wheel, and guess what, there are only 2 relays there, and none of which are in slot 5 which is were the dual horn relay is meant to be. I am guessing that as my A2 only as a single horn then there is no relay present.

I then took the steering wheel off (After first disconnecting the battery and letting everything discharge) tell tail sign was the screws holding the airbag unit in place were only finger tight if that. Once the airbag unit was removed the horn problem was some what obvious as the 2 core wire from the small loom to the circuit board on the back of the airbag unit not connected. On closer inspection there was no socket to plug it into either, it would appear that some over zealous 'mechanic' had pulled the connector off and ripped the socket of the circuit board.
So, had to take it apart, solder in 2 pins and re assemble it all. once the loom was connected a good blob of hot glue was applied as the socket is no longer present and therefore the connector could vibrate loose (unlikely, but better same than sorry)

All re assembled and the horn now works :) happy days

I do wounder about some mechanics, as the saying goes 'they walk among us' !!!

Back