Early DIS display.

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
A strange request, but can someone with a 2001 A2 that has DIS please take a picture of it on (for example) the fuel range?

i am pretty sure that the early ones had a different DIS screen and I need to know if that is why mine seems different.

I have just got mine back from having the screen replaced and the display looks different to the one on my wife's 2004.

Her's has a much darker background. Than mine.
Thr background seems way too bright to me. But it could be that it is just down to it being a different type?

the 2001 one looks like this.

IMG_1278.jpg

My wife's has an almost black background with the yellow font.

Cheers
Steve B

almost black with red text is correct. Someone's turned the contrast down on yours, maybe? or Backlight up.

- Bret

thanks Bretti

i have lowered the dash illumination as low as it will go via the adjuster wheel. But I don't think there is any other adjustment I can make. I think they have set it wrong somehow. I will contact them.

Perhaps yours is a later screen (they might have changed when they changed the tank size in 2002).

I will I'll see what they say.

Cheers
Steve B

Hi Steve,

I think what you are finding is that the specification of the replacement part used isn't the same as the OEM screen. The replacement screen may be designed for a different application or have poorer characteristics than the original fitment. In particular the size of the optimal view angle and the application view direction.

I have both a 2001 A2 and also TT and the contrast on the original DIS screen is good with the background near black.

My TT screen however was replaced a few years ago and the replacement screen, although matches the size, pixels and colour, doesn't have the same view angle or contrast characteristics as the original. The replacement has less contrast than the original with light bleed on the background as seen from the driver's position. The replacements screen has a much narrower optimal view angle to the OEM and appears to be designed to be mounted in a landscape position. The portrait positioning in the instrument cluster puts the designed viewing position from the side rather than below and in front (as the screen is effectively rotated 90 degrees from the design fitment). This combined with the narrower view angle means it looks good from the passenger's position (to the side) but not so good from the driver's. I have turned down the display brightness to compensate and I'm happy that I can now at least read what the display says.

As I found out after having my TT screen replaced, there are various lengthy discussions on other car forums about the quality (or lack of) of replacement LCD screens and there are suppliers which go to great lengths to advertise how their screens match closely to the OEM specification characteristics.

regards

Andrew

Thanks guys,

The company just admitted that they have used a non-OEM unit because they don't have any more OEM replacements.

They are going to see what they can do.

Steve B

Back