New tyres

rosiedog

A2OC Donor
Looking to get some new 16inch tyres.
Not many premium brands available in 185/50, I was told, but only had time today to try one company. Would it be better to inquire about 195/45.?.
Any recommendations about size and make would be welcome.
Any benefits buying off the internet. I've never tried this route?
Thanks in advance.

My apologies, this very similar to another post, dohh !!

Last edited:
Not many premium brands available in 185/50, I was told, but only had time today to try one company. Would it be better to inquire about 195/45.?.
Thanks in advance.

If you are buying tyres on the internet, stick to brands that you recognise (although there are lots of weird brands these days that are perfectly ok.)

I have used "Black Circles" a few times and they seem OK and do have some low priced tyres that are perfectly ok.

195 45 16s are ok and may help you broaden your search.

Steve B

I've always found Toyo tyres to be very good and a very reasonable price. I found some Proxes in that size £48 each delivered online or £60 each fitted at a relatively local tyre place. Nice tread pattern too :)

My wheels are 6J X 16 H2 ET35 “5-Stern”
OE tyres 185/50 R 16 81 H

I'm currently using Continental PremiumContact 185/50 R 16 81H
Previously I have used Kumho Ecsta HM 185/50 R 16 81V
Have been perfectly happy with either of these.

One of the internet tyre companies had a workshop near me: I tend to shop there and see which of these brands/models is cheapest at the time.

Note to self: have a look at 195/45 next time

Until I changed to 15" rims recently, I was running 185/50R16 Continental EcoContact 5 tyres all round. Great grip and mpg. I got nearly 30,000 miles from them and they never let me down.

Asda has them at £80 per corner fitted. Have a look at the definitive tyre thread http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?12120-The-definitive-tyre-wheel-size-thread , you might find you'd benefit from increased comfort by adding a bit more rubber than the standard size.

I agree with Khumos, had them on several cars and great value, presently have KE93 on my TT. I have Nexen N8000 on my A2 but in 215/40 17, they initially made the steering feel quite light but either they have bedded in well or we gave got use to the difference from the previous 16" wheels and tyres.

I use the BluResoponses, 195/50 R16 though. What do you want with the mass (weight)? the manufacturer might be the best source for this.

I found 7kg at Amazon.co.uk but I am not sure that it's the exact value.

It would be really great if it is so... The tyres I have at the moment weigh 7,5 kg. The idea is to reduce unsprung masses.

I found 7kg at Amazon.co.uk but I am not sure that it's the exact value.

It would be really great if it is so... The tyres I have at the moment weigh 7,5 kg. The idea is to reduce unsprung masses.

Then simply go to 15 inch wheels. Less metal less weight.

Thanks in advance.

My apologies, this very similar to another post, dohh !!

My advice if buying online is to watch the fitting costs, check with who they say will be doing the fitting. Not a problem if it is an all in price.

Also speak to any small independent tyre fitters local to you, most areas have some. They will often do a great price to get your business.

Moving to the 195/45 you may find the ride marginally harder but as already said you will get more choice. Depending on where your priorities are most sites will show the ratings for fuel economy, wet grip and road noise. On Blackcircles the Rotellas seem a good balance at a very keen price... and the 45's are quieter and cheaper than the 50's.

Fuel efficiency ratings on tyres: how significant a difference?

I'm currently looking at two new front tyres: 185/50 R16 81H

• Kumho Ecsta HS51 has fuel efficiency rating 'E'
  • Continental Eco Contact 5 has fuel efficiency rating 'B'

The Contis are £20 per tyre more expensive than the Kumhos. From experience with each of these brands I expect 25,000 miles from a set on the front of my car.

If I choose the Contis, over an assumed 25,000 miles, will I get near to recovering the £40 premium the pair cost over the Kumhos?

Andrew

Last edited:
afternoon and seasons greetings to all I need to replace some times .... has any one used Tyreleader.co.uk

afternoon and seasons greetings to all I need to replace some times .... has any one used Tyreleader.co.uk
Yes, I've used Tyreleader.co.uk twice for a set of four tyres; one lot for the A2 and the second for my Freelander.
I couldn't find any better prices either online or at local tyre shops.
The tyres arrived within a few days and I had them fitted and balanced locally.
The company has my recommendation.

Back