Cleaning seats !

Tazio

A2OC Donor
Hello my Platinum cloth sports seats are looking a bit stained ....what is the best way to clean them ? Have tried the normal foam car upholstery cleaner .....but I think I need something better ! The stains are nothing particularly nasty just polar my dog travels in the passenger seat and so obviously they get dirty even though I use a blanket , the platinum is very light and so stains easily but I would like to thouroughly clean them before they get any worse .

My go to product is always Autoglym interior shampoo but not over doing it as that can leave stains of its own.

I usually get the seats wet with a lint free cloth (in my case I use a new Aldi dish cloth each time as they dont leave fibres on the upholstery fabric) then once the seats are nice and damp (but not soaked) I put some elbow grease in with the interior shampoo (with a seperate new lint free cloth). Then after working them thoroughly I use the first dampening cloth again to wash out the interior shampoo. As with most things the final results are dictated by the amount of effort you put in but that method has served me well for years on various manufacturers seats.

My go to product is always Autoglym interior shampoo but not over doing it as that can leave stains of its own.

I usually get the seats wet with a lint free cloth (in my case I use a new Aldi dish cloth each time as they dont leave fibres on the upholstery fabric) then once the seats are nice and damp (but not soaked) I put some elbow grease in with the interior shampoo (with a seperate new lint free cloth). Then after working them thoroughly I use the first dampening cloth again to wash out the interior shampoo. As with most things the final results are dictated by the amount of effort you put in but that method has served me well for years on various manufacturers seats.

+1 for Autoglym upholstery shampoo. I don't know what they put in it, but it works extremely well!

I go cheap and cheerful, I use 'stardrops' available from Home bargains at £0.79 a bottle

I use it in a VAX carpet and upholstery cleaner, use hot tap water in the clean water tank and put about 50ml of stardrops per litre of hot water
I normally remove the seats from the car to allow better access (only 4 bolts on the A2 front seats and one connector), the colour of the water in the dirty tank shows what is coming out of the seats.
The VAX gets the seats dryish, on a summers day leave them outside in the sun for a few hours and they are bone dry, this time of year I would bring them into the house and leave a fan heater blowing warm air over them
They are not left at all sticky and come up like new, all stains are gone, I have cleaned a few sets of A2 cloth seats some of which were totally filthy. On really dirty seats allow about 3/4 hour per seat to get them spotless
One bottle of stardrops is more than enough to clean 4 filthy seats, I normally use a bottle and a half to clean 4 seats and the carpets and mats, and all for 79p a bottle

Cheers

Just following up on this, what if I have heated seats? Do I have to remove the seat upholstery in order to clean it?

As long as you do not get the seats too wet then the electric heaters will be fine. Always extract as much fluid as you can ideally with a type of wet vac or carpet cleaner. I love my Rug Doctor Spot Cleaner and its perfect for the car.

Back