Snapped handbrake cable

muggles

Evening all,

Having just had rear calipers / carriers / discs / pads replaced I pulled the handbrake up whilst car parked on drive and it immediately went skyward.

The handbrake had felt rather stiff since I purchased the care and I assumed that the persisting stiffness after the caliper change meant that this was just how they were on an A2- nothing like the very light action on a VW Polo handbrake.

Anyway, I'm assuming that the cable has snapped but ?where.

I can't see anything hanging beneath the vehicle and the ends of both cables remain seated in the calipers, although seemed to be loose on the left side.

I've had a scout on ETKA and there seems to be an initial part before the Left and Right cables with a pivoting part to connect the Left and Right cables. I'm wondering if the pivot has broken / corroded leading to the failure, but pretty diffiuclt without a ramp.

I'd be grateful for any advice- stripping it down looks a pain as the rear centre console has to come out.

Also if anyone has parts- e.g. the first part of the handbrake cable / sleeving from lever to the Left and RIght cables I'd be very grateful. I expect this bit would be a small fortune from TPS / Audi direct

THanks for helping,

Regards,

Pete

Thanks everyone,

Parts on order £41 for the Guide Tube 8Z0 711 951C and £12 or so each for the cables to each side...

Really grateful for your prompt reples and the write up referenced by Spike.

I've benefitted so much from this forum - what a great community. :)

Back