Bi-xenon conversion

Akeel

Finished the conversion last night I will post some pictures once they are up and running on the car . Here's what they look like so far :
72f544c6e51275d46a3cfcb852f39c8f.jpg
1958421d028221b6e07910b992535e0e.jpg

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Akeel,

When you have time, Id greatly appriciate a how to PMd to me stating what you had to purchase and the process involved to get the job completed (with no DIS errors). I am a fan of the conversion and happy to give it a go in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,

Tom

We have probably covered this before somewhere but do xenons require headlight wash and auto height adjustment to be legal?

I think no retrofit xennons are legal even if they do have what you mentioned unless the are OEM. Not stopping me though as long as they don't glare on coming drivers and you whip them out for MOT you'll be fine.

Mobile post via AdminVB_Elite

Found this which may be helpful

High-intensity discharge (HID) headlights, better known as xenon lights, offer more pure white light on the road than standard halogen bulbs while drawing less power. However, installing xenon bulbs as an aftermarket upgrade, as opposed to having them fitted on the production line as standard, is not legal in the eyes of the transport department. It says you must change the whole headlamp unit, because the lens and reflector for a halogen bulb will give the wrong beam pattern if used with an HID bulb.
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, for its part, publishes a raft of safety regulations that all gas-discharge headlights must adhere to. For instance, they must be fitted with a washing system (unless the output is less than 2,000 lumens) and an automatic self-levelling system (unless it can be proved that the dipped beam is aimed correctly, as tested in the MoT). They must also be set up so that the dipped beam stays on when the main beam is activated.

Found this which may be helpful

High-intensity discharge (HID) headlights, better known as xenon lights, offer more pure white light on the road than standard halogen bulbs while drawing less power. However, installing xenon bulbs as an aftermarket upgrade, as opposed to having them fitted on the production line as standard, is not legal in the eyes of the transport department. It says you must change the whole headlamp unit, because the lens and reflector for a halogen bulb will give the wrong beam pattern if used with an HID bulb.
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, for its part, publishes a raft of safety regulations that all gas-discharge headlights must adhere to. For instance, they must be fitted with a washing system (unless the output is less than 2,000 lumens) and an automatic self-levelling system (unless it can be proved that the dipped beam is aimed correctly, as tested in the MoT). They must also be set up so that the dipped beam stays on when the main beam is activated.

The important difference with bi-Xenons is that they do NOT use the original reflector, they have an inbuilt reflector that is totally self contained and so could be classed as being a replacement headlamp unit.

They may well be illegal but in my view they should not be, because they have an excellent beam pattern, better than the standard bulb and if adjusted correctly they are not causing any risks.

but the law is the law.

Steve B

HID Lights.jpgstd lights.jpg

Bi-Xenon on the left and standard on the right.

The Bi-Xenon have a much better beam pattern.

Steve B

Akeel,
I'm very interested
Do you have a parts list with source(s)
An how to do it guide etc

cheers,

In all honesty I dont like the HID lights..............I see so many now on the roads and they always cause glare to me because I wear glasses. My thoughts are you dont need HID lights in cities and towns, There is usually enough light to see anyway............. lights are there to be seen not to see if you know what I mean.

But then again, I ride a motorcycle and I do have very bright LEDs on the bike, but thats just to make sure that I CAN be seen by cage drivers during day light hours, they are not much use at night though.

Your right but that's people who don't have projector lenses fitted that's why they glare out on standard lights but when you do have the lenses fitted it concentrates the beam and has it cut to the actual beam setting in the car which you can adjust

To be honest, I'm with Johnny on this one. I'm a fan of OEM HIDs (well most) but not aftermarket.

Apart from on motorcycles, aftermarket HIDs tend to be for "look at me reasons" whether admitted or not. I accept that there will be a tiny minority of responsible buyers (e.g. Those who install projectors) but nearly all will not have washers or auto levelling installed, both of which need to be there for good reasons.

Of course I know there are many expert-level installations from detail conscious members here but I can't believe that product R&D investment has been made by the suppliers of these kits that gets anywhere near OEM stuff by Bosch etc which are designed to meet global legislation.

Finished the conversion last night I will post some pictures once they are up and running on the car . Here's what they look like so far :
72f544c6e51275d46a3cfcb852f39c8f.jpg
1958421d028221b6e07910b992535e0e.jpg

I looked at the eBay links you posted and it looks like there are some choices/compromises on the reflector depnding on which bulbs you use. Did you use H1s or H7s?

I already have a set of HID H7s that I don't like because the beam pattern is terrible, but if I can reuse those then I'm quite interested in trying this.

Back