Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil leak

Oil leak

Hello..
    Well, it seems I bought a big problem.
    Yesterday Low Oil level indicator showed up on dash board. Checked the Oil level and it really was at minimum.
    The problem is that i've changed oil 4 months ago and driven only 1600km. My a2 is on the high mileage side 340000~ km driven already.
    I know that my turbo leaks a bit, but damn, this much?
    Any ideas on where to start? Maybe just sell it? a bit dissapointed

oil i used was 5x40 (maybe i should try using 10x40?)
    Last edited by vklexer; 18-03-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vklexer View Post
    Hello..
    Well, it seems I bought a big problem.
    Yesterday Low Oil level indicator showed up on dash board. Checked the Oil level and it really was at minimum.
    The problem is that i've changed oil 4 months ago and driven only 1600km. My a2 is on the high mileage side 340000~ km driven already.
    I know that my turbo leaks a bit, but damn, this much?
    Any ideas on where to start? Maybe just sell it? a bit dissapointed

oil i used was 5x40 (maybe i should try using 10x40?)
    It is more likely that when you filled it up, the oil galleys were all empty after being drained and so it possibly was not on the "full mark (after you have run the engine for a while)

I would recommend that you top it up to the high level mark (NO MORE than that!) run it for a few miles and then dip it again. That wilkl be the level you have.
    Then run it for a couple of days and see where it is now.

Also remember to dip it on level ground and at the same temperature each time you dip it.

The oil should be 5 30 and please do not change the oil to a different specification it won't affect the leaks one bit.

Steve B

Firstly, i wanted to thank you for helping all the time. It seems that you are always here first to lend some knowledge
    Isn't Audi recommending to use 5x40 Castrol TD? I have 5x40 PD right now in the engine. Can i still use 5x30?
    I will buy 5x30 tomorrow and do as you recommended

4. Users that liked this post:

Birchall (18-03-2017)

It is important to get input from the many knowledgeable members on here for confirmation.

My recomendations are only based on my own experience and there may be others that can be more technically correct.

So let's see what others have to say before changing anything, 5w 40w may well be ok as it is.

Steve B

It's best not to mix the oil spec.

If you intend to use 5W30 from now on, change the oil and filter.
    This will also give you a chance to inspect the engine undertray to see if there is much oil saturation on it.

If you were just going to top up, use 5W40 until you are ready to chage the oil and filter.
    Silver 2002 1.4 TDi SE
    Heated Red Sports Leather 4 Seat Interior, TTS FBMFSW, Open Sky System, Bose, RNS-E with Audi Bluetooth Telephony & SDS, DIS, Audi iPod link, Cruise Control, Komfortblinker, New Style Asymmetric Key Fobs, Rear Cup Holders, 4 x Electric Windows, Auto-dimming Rearveiw Mirror, A2OC Mats, TT Pedals, Puddle Lighting, Headlight Washers, Headlight Protectors, Debadged, 0.659 5th Gear, H&R Front and Rear ARB's, Koni FSDs & Weitec -30 Springs, Rear Disc Axle Conversion, ATE Powerdisc and Ceramic Pads, 17" TT Ronal Wheels with 215/40 Tyres, Floppy Wiper, Votex Body Kit, Spacesaver, Heated Wing Mirrors, K&N, Stealthed & a Coat-Hanger!

7. 2 users that liked this post:

BiggDogg (18-03-2017), Birchall (18-03-2017)

oil viscocity ratings apply to the oils ability to maintain its properties under different temperatures so in a colder climate a lower rating of 5 would be advisable (as far as I know )

so i'll just top up using the same thing 5x40.
    Talking about the bad things. What could be the worst thing?
    I mean like changing the engine or turbo?
    We checked the engine undertray when changing the oil and found only a few drops on it. I think it might be a good chance the oil is burning somewhere..

See how much oil you need to top it up to max.
    From the low mark to the full mark on the dipstick it's usually about 1ltr.
    Make sure the dipstick end isn't broken.

If you'd been burining oil at about 1ltr in 1600Km (about 1000 miles) I think you'd see some blue smoke from the exhaust.

If you can get underneath the car, check to make sure you don't have oil dripping off the undertray anywhere.

Cheers
    Jeff
    Silver 2002 1.4 TDi SE
    Heated Red Sports Leather 4 Seat Interior, TTS FBMFSW, Open Sky System, Bose, RNS-E with Audi Bluetooth Telephony & SDS, DIS, Audi iPod link, Cruise Control, Komfortblinker, New Style Asymmetric Key Fobs, Rear Cup Holders, 4 x Electric Windows, Auto-dimming Rearveiw Mirror, A2OC Mats, TT Pedals, Puddle Lighting, Headlight Washers, Headlight Protectors, Debadged, 0.659 5th Gear, H&R Front and Rear ARB's, Koni FSDs & Weitec -30 Springs, Rear Disc Axle Conversion, ATE Powerdisc and Ceramic Pads, 17" TT Ronal Wheels with 215/40 Tyres, Floppy Wiper, Votex Body Kit, Spacesaver, Heated Wing Mirrors, K&N, Stealthed & a Coat-Hanger!

so i'll just top up using the same thing 5x40.
    Talking about the bad things. What could be the worst thing?
    I mean like changing the engine or turbo?
    We checked the engine undertray when changing the oil and found only a few drops on it. I think it might be a good chance the oil is burning somewhere..
    It is rare for these engines to burn substantial amounts of oil.

The turbo can be the main culprit when large amounts of oil go missing.

But I STILL think that you might not even have a problem.

Dipping oil is not a very accurate approach (you don't have any other option though)

A small difference in how level the ground iscan make the oil level vary on the stick.

Also these dipsticks can sometimes not be fully home when you insert them.

So the only real way to tell if you are losing a lot of oil is to dip the levels on level ground and at the same temperature several times over a few weeks.

Top it up now ON LEVEL GROUND (overfilling your engine can do more damage than underfilling it, so be careful)

Then check it, being careful to clean the stick properly first, do this a couple of times and then you will have as accurate a reading as possible.

Sorry to be telling you how to dip your oil but it really is important to do it properly.

I wouldn't worry until you are sure that it is losing a lot of oil regularly.

Steve B

Firstly, i wanted to thank you for helping all the time. It seems that you are always here first to lend some knowledge
    Isn't Audi recommending to use 5x40 Castrol TD? I have 5x40 PD right now in the engine. Can i still use 5x30?
    I will buy 5x30 tomorrow and do as you recommended
    Make sure the oil you use adheres to the correct specification for the engine that you have. For engines with Pumpe Duse (PD) injectors (like the AMF turbo diesel engine in some of the Audi A2s) it is 505.01, 506.01, or 507.00.

I use 507.00 spec 5W30 Castrol Edge LL in a 2002 Audi A2 with the AMF engine. http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-...duct-page.html

http://www.oilspecifications.org/volkswagen.php
    http://www.oilspecifications.org/art..._explained.php

PS. I agree that being consistent and careful in how you check the oil level via the dipstick is important.
    Last edited by mikec; 18-03-2017 at 09:43 PM.