Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil leak

Today i measured again before starting the car. The orange part of the stick was completely covered in oil.
    So my next step is to drive it a bit, fill it up again to the mark and then see whats happening?
    Wouldn't it mean overtopping it as mentioned before?

Quote Originally Posted by vklexer View Post
    Today i measured again before starting the car. The orange part of the stick was completely covered in oil.
    So my next step is to drive it a bit, fill it up again to the mark and then see whats happening?
    Wouldn't it mean overtopping it as mentioned before?
    No, as long as you never fill up to higher than the high mark.

Never top it up if it is already at the high mark.

Steve B
    Last edited by Birchall; 19-03-2017 at 04:26 PM.

To check the oil level, pull the dipstick out, clean the end with a cloth or rag, put it back in fully, pull it out again, and only then look at the end to ascertain the level.

http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a2/a2-2623.png

With the engine cold, if under 'c', add oil; if in area 'b' (between 'a' and 'c'), don't add any; if above 'a', there is too much oil, and you should probably drain some.
    With the engine warm (coolant temperature needle at 90), if a bit over 'a', I think I read somewhere that it's ok, but I'm not sure. The rest is the same as for cold.

Make sure you check the oil level at the same engine temperature (i.e. cold or warm) each time you check it.
    If checking the oil level after shutting the engine off, wait for at least 3 minutes before checking it.

I think that's pretty much everything there is to know about oil level checking.

If you want to check if there is oil leaving the system, you could do the following:
    1. with car on level ground, and engine cold, check the level, and remember what it is.
    2. drive car for some time (perhaps a few days, depending on how much driving you normally do, say about 100 miles).
    3. with car on level ground, and engine cold, check the level again, and compare it to what it was before.

It should not be higher than it was. If it's the same, that's great. If it's lower, that's not good, especially in only 100 miles.
    You should check the oil level once in a while, I think Audi suggests every time you fill the car up with fuel.

I hope that helps.

4. Users that liked this post:

Special edition (19-03-2017)

A2 dipsticks have a strange habit of breaking off at the tip end so this is worth checking too.

Got excited in my last post, but now i feel stupid to admit that i only saw what i wanted to see. It was just dirty from sliding it in.
    Today i topped up 1L. Now i'll monitor a bit whats happening.
    So i guess there is no "common problem" for this? Either turbo is going out or the Engine itself is not happy anymore.
    I'm a bit worried about this, cause when fixing my webasto, the repair guy told a story about his friends A2. That he had a automatic, engine started to rev high and he couldnt turn off the car. This is linked to oil problems so this worries me much. Something about oil catching on fire somewhere in the engine or something like that. Fixing this kind of thing could also be very expensive
    Last edited by vklexer; 20-03-2017 at 01:52 PM.

If you have the "throttle" valve (I do not know which versions do), one reason it is there is specifically to prevent runaway.