Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.2 tdi front suspension died!

1.2 tdi front suspension died!

Hello everyone

On my way to the store a loud "CLUNK" from the front right of the car. Steering started pulling heavily to the right. On my way back jacked the car, removed the wheel, ball bearings raining and this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6135 (1).JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	27783Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6137 (1).JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	27784

The front of the car has been nose diving when braking since I have it so I was thinking of replacing everything(shocks, springs and...). Is that a do-able job if I'm having the struts assembled somewhere (i don't have anything to compress the springs)?

From this part list:
    http://www.oemepc.com/audi/part_sing.../919582/lang/u
    Should I replace everything from 1 to 11 or I can re-use some parts without a problem?

I will order the parts from here (they also do business in the Netherlands):
    https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/audi/a2-8z0/14402

Any suggestion on which parts brand to use? I would like to restore original ride/quality.

Thank you for your precious help

G
    Last edited by grimchuck; 19-03-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Replacing the front struts becomes slightly awkward on the UK drivers side of the car due to the position of the brake fluid reservoir. It has to be unbolted and set to one side to gain access to the top bolts. I replaced all items 1 to 11... it seemed to make sort of sense with it all in bits. I did use genuine Audi nuts and bolts as it is advisable to replace them with new... they were not too expensive.

The original Audi springs are colour dot coded which denote the weight and specc of your car. My dealer came up with the correct ones but they were expensive and other members may be able to help you with alternatives.

Munroe or bilstein shock absorbers seem to be popular... it is a personal preference though.

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Special edition; 19-03-2017 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Special edition View Post

Munroe or bilstein shock absorbers seem to be popular... it is a personal preference though.
    There are very few shock absorber options for the 1.2Tdi.

RAB
    2013 E-Up! Dark Blue (Wifey's new car!)
    2001 A2 1.2Tdi Silver, bought in 2007
    2001 Lupo 3L Red, bought new, the first registered in the UK
    1999 Lupo 3L Silver (Wifey's car)
    1946 MG TC owned since 1971 (my first car!)

4. Users that liked this post:

Special edition (19-03-2017)

Thanks Dave

Rab, Wich option would you suggest?

I'm sure Bilstein list shocks and springs for the 1.2
    02 Silver 1.4 SE work in progress....retro fitted DIS, MFSW, cruise control, Winter pack heated washers and mirrors, rear bench, bespoke cabin and boot mats, rear cupholder, LHD lower a-pillar trim on drivers side, collapsible spare wheel, genuine Audi mud flaps, front stowage console. CD changer conversion imminent...
    15 Blackberry T5 Kombi Highline NWCC Converted clean machine
    52 Fresco Green Lupo SE back from the dead. Pictures in the "Carpark"

As Rab suggests, the options are limited with 1.2 suspension options. I came to the conclusion that when I renew mine, I will be sticking to OE shocks at least, and probably OE springs too.

Cheers
    Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TDI 75 - Open Sky 2.0, OEM PDC, BOSE, Rear Electric Windows, Cruise, MFSW, Heated Leather, Side Guard Curtain Airbags, Audi Detachable Tow bar, Collapsible Space saver & bracket, Bluetooth, Komfortblinker, Winter Pack, DIS & Climate, iPod Interface with Brodit iPhone Mount & Cradle, Rear Drinks holder, Mud Flaps, TT Pedals, Auto Dimming Mirror, OEM 12v Boot Socket, Twin Boot Lights

8. 2 users that liked this post:

Birchall (19-03-2017), Special edition (19-03-2017)

there are a couple of options, listed on the German forum. Try this thread: https://a2-freun.de/forum/forums/top...comment-276898

- Bret
    Do not expect spoonfeeding, you will be disappointed.

2002 Petrol. Modded inside. 'nuff said.
    German A2 Forum Administrator.

short:
    Dämpfer vorn: Bilstein B4 VNE-4476Dämpfer hinten: Bilstein B4 BNE-A957
    Do not expect spoonfeeding, you will be disappointed.

2002 Petrol. Modded inside. 'nuff said.
    German A2 Forum Administrator.

11. Users that liked this post:

Birchall (19-03-2017)

I went to the Audi dealership this morning, Springs: 125€ each and shocks 245€ each (front only)... So with bearings, small parts, etc. It's ~850€ (21% taxes included) job. I ordered the springs, bearings, and struts mount but the shocks were just too much for now...

I looked at the options on the german forum, The Bilstein would have been an interesting option since they are:200€ for the four corner but from what I understand the original front springs don't fit with them. The guy used front spring from a Polo 86c 2F. I just bought 250€ springs so it's kind of not option for me I guess...

I'm still hoping to find a good bolt on alternative... Anyone?

Not sure if it's relevant, but soon after converting to Bilstein, the owner (Wulfi) sold the car!

RAB
    2013 E-Up! Dark Blue (Wifey's new car!)
    2001 A2 1.2Tdi Silver, bought in 2007
    2001 Lupo 3L Red, bought new, the first registered in the UK
    1999 Lupo 3L Silver (Wifey's car)
    1946 MG TC owned since 1971 (my first car!)