Heater/Air con not working

Fatnose

I am new to the forum and this is my second post, I have recently purchased a 2005 1.4 TDI, and the heating works intermittently. I have waited until the cars temp to heat up to mid way on the gauge, but no hot air seems to come out, sometimes it will blow just a tiny bit of warm air but then just cold/cool air.
Anyone have an idea or two ?

It's probably best to get the car scanned with VCDS to identify any fault codes.

Does your car have the digital display or the round dials?
If you have digital display then you could try cycling the the air conditioning flaps to see if that helps.
What you do is set the temperature to max heat, leave it for 5 seconds (time not critical) and then set the temp to minimum heat.
This allows the flaps that control the mixture of hot and cold air to move to their full travel, and hopefully free up if there is any dust or fluff that is caught in the gears.

You can do the same thing with the flaps that control the air direction too.
Select the air vent pointing to the screen and have the fan on max. After a few seconds select the middle button and de-select the screen button, then select the foot direction and de-select the middle button.
Repeat this process for a minute or two.

When you are having the issues you are, what temperature is the climate control set to, how long is your typical journey, and at what average speed (are you in town traffic or at cruising speeds)?
Do you notice the temperature gauge drop when you turn on the heater?

I like to drive in a hot enviroment, so my temp is usually set to 24 when I'm on my own.
My daily journey is 1.5hrs of crusing speeds.
I normally put the heater on when the temp gauge is close to 90, and I don't have any issues if driving at 40mph or above constantly.
If I hit traffic and my heater is still set to 24, with my speed lower than 30mph I will notice the temp gauge drop and the interior temperature cannot be maintained, which is to be expected.

Cheers
Jeff

If it's not blowing air is it worth checking the cabin filter? A friend's A2 had a totally clogged filter preventing airflow. Looked like it hadn't been changed in years. There's a 'how to' for this task on the forum.

Welcome to the club fatnose

Back