Brake caliper recommendation

Kennedy

A2OC Donor
I have one seized up caliper on the back of my TDI 90 that needs replacing quite soon and all the calipers/carriers have been poorly painted bright red by the previous owner so I'd like to change them all at some point.

Is there really any difference in quality between say TRW to Pagid to the genuine OE calipers/carriers? - Obviously genuine Audi calipers and carriers all-round is going to be expensive! - Rough prices for 1 x REAR (6Q0615424A);

TRW - £64.08
PAGID - £98.23
AUDI (from dealership) - £179.39

Be useful to hear what other members have fitted and upgraded to and if it's worth the cost.

Thanks, Kennedy

Hi Kennedy when we had the rear axles changed to disc we used euro car spares ones i believe and they have been fine for well over a year now on both the cars. I can't be certain but think they were TRW.

Can i temp to you to a social ? cheers mike

Kennedy, my TDI 90 failed the MoT in 2015 with a seized rear caliper. I'm pretty sure my service garage will have used a Pagid caliper: I know that we replaced the rear discs and pads at the same time and those replacement parts were Pagid.

Fwiw the service garage owner runs a B5 S4 facelift supercar beater
Power: 501 ps
Torque: 680 nm (these data from a couple of years ago: it has quite possibly been uprated)
If he is confident to fit Pagid brake components to his own cars, I'm happy for him to fit them to my A2 :)

Andrew

Last edited:
Last edited:
I bought a TRW one from eBay. From my point of view the castings were identical even to the point that the Audi logo on the new TRW replacement looked as though it had been 'filed' off. I reckon it was the same mould.

Don't forget the pair of banjo bolts for the brake pipe.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31711

Thanks for responses guys, and yes had spotted this thread about the banjo bolts so will include these in my order with calipers and carriers...

Hi Kennedy when we had the rear axles changed to disc we used euro car spares ones i believe and they have been fine for well over a year now on both the cars. I can't be certain but think they were TRW.

Can i temp to you to a social ? cheers mike

... and Mike thanks for info on TRW calipers too, I just wanted to find out if it's worth paying all that extra but is seems that the TRW and Pagid versions should be up to the job whichever I choose - I couldn't actually say if the ones that are on my 128K mile car are genuine anyway... and on the social side I wouldn't mind coming along to one of the get togethers so I'll have a look at the calendar and see if anything will work out, we've actually got two fairly nice cars so it would be nice to show them off :cool: thanks.

Kennedy.

Back