How do I remove cup holders?

A2 TDI

I've tried accessing them via the stereo slot but still appears to be fixed in, are there any fixtures I need to get to to remove them? I've got some new ones that I need to slot in.

take the radio out and then the 2 screw/bolt look picture

Naamloos.jpg

Thanks. Do you also know how to take off the side vents, the ones closest to the front passenger and driver doors? I have the little plastic adjustment thing stuck inside there.

Hi,

I just replaced the driver's side vent and the reason I was replacing it was due to broken vanes (not just out of position, but broken.

So I was able to extract the old one without worrying to much about damaging it (Thanks for the tip A2Steve)
But why are you replacing them? is it a colour change or something? The reason I ask is that it MIGHT be possible to swap just the vanes and associated connectors. If yours are not repairable at least you can remove them in situ and see if you think you could manage it? It is possible I believe, JUST, especially if you use the old one to find out how they all fit and connect together.

Steve B

Hi,

I just replaced the driver's side vent and the reason I was replacing it was due to broken vanes (not just out of position, but broken.

So I was able to extract the old one without worrying to much about damaging it (Thanks for the tip A2Steve)
But why are you replacing them? is it a colour change or something? The reason I ask is that it MIGHT be possible to swap just the vanes and associated connectors. If yours are not repairable at least you can remove them in situ and see if you think you could manage it? It is possible I believe, JUST, especially if you use the old one to find out how they all fit and connect together.

Steve B

The little bit of plastic that rotates them left and right I believe is detached and trapped inside. I haven't tried getting them out with long nose pliers, but the first thought that came to me was removing the front vent. This has happened on both sides.

Hi Again A2 TDI,

I'm back from my trip out but still little time.

I was going to make the point Steve has made. If you get the vent out there is even less access to to fix your problem from the rear, I will put up pic tomorrow or look at the post I referenced. It seems to me the the louvre fins must have been originally inserted from the front.

As these vents seem a common problem I will still contribute on vent removal tomorrow even though you don't have to and possibly some other tips.

Andy

Hi Again A2 TDI

Hope you have fixed your vent from the front by now. I remember reading a post of someone who had and commented it took ages, fiddly and frustrating but nevertheless doable.

Too many domestic distractions at the moment but I have started on a removal reply with lots of pics but it will be later in the week before it appears. Feel I can make refinements and have to experiment.

To reiterate, fix it from the front if at all possible.

Andy

Back