Maybe a boost issue

bangorlad

Hi

After a little advice if possible, Was driving down a dual carriageway last night when suddenly appeared to lose some power. Going uphill car struggled but on a flat would still do 75-80 but the umff had gone, no dash lights. 12hours later after car had stood all appeared well until maybe 10miles into journey same again. Any ideas. Was thinking intercooler. Had a look as best you can and couldn't see any oil.

Many thanks

It could also be a split pipe or one of the small pipes associated with the turbo. Is it a 75 ? If it's a 90 it could be sticking variable turbo. Cheers Mike

A simple fault code scan may help. After mine lost power the scan showed a faulty MAF sensor... very easily replaced, with only two screws to undue, and all was well. :). If you look at the metal tube pipe across the top of the engine and follow it down towards the intercooler you should find it somewhere along that pipe.

Last edited:
Right, Vag com scan brought the following

Address 01: Engine Labels: 045-906-019-AMF.clb
Part No: 045 906 019 G
Component: 1,4l R3 EDC 0000SG 1514
Coding: 00005
Shop #: WSC 02138
VCID: 19392225837A9B8889-4AE8
WAUZZZ8Z03N002002 AUZ7Z0B2091981

1 Fault Found:
17965 - Charge Pressure Control
P1557 - 35-10 - Positive Deviation - Intermittent
Readiness: 0 0 X X X

Anyway started to investigate. Front bumper off and bottom cover. Intercooler looks dry. Only thing I can see that doesn't look right is the small black vacuum pipe next to the small green pipe doesn't appear to be attached at one end. One end is attached to the main air pipe from the turbo then goes upwards to nothing. Is that right or should it be connected, I just can't see where.

Thanks for any help

Hi

Right then, eventually found where the black vacuum pipe went to. Really awkward reattaching as there isn't much space. Any way took the girl for a spin an no issues. Very satisfying. Don't really no how this pipe has come unattached. saved a bit of brass as well as I thought it was the intercooler. Any way thanks for the help.

Good work, any chance you took some pictures to complement your findings? Always useful for anyone else in a similar position.

Sorry no unfortunately. As I was on my own and I was covered in crap. Out of interest when I got the bumper off the large cross member is help on by some sort of multi spline Allan type bolt. What are these called as I didn't have anything to fit.

The tools are known as spline or tri square spline or triple square spline.

Similar tool required for the steering wheel centre bolt.

Cheers
Jeff

Hi

Don't really no how this pipe has come unattached. saved a bit of brass as well as I thought it was the intercooler. Any way thanks for the help.

Have you replaced the cam belt recently ? Front end of engine needs to be lowered for access and this can strain the pipes causing them to eventually separate.

Cheers Spike

Back