1.4tdi shaking

Ok 2002 tdi shaking when i brake just had the wheel off nothing stands out did the discs and pads about 6 weeks ago so not them any ideas just started monday and seems to be getting worse.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Update put new discs on still shaking had both wheels off tightened every bolt i could see still no joy and there's a dum dum sound at low speeds, drop links are fine anti roll bar bushes are new.

Shaking under braking sounds like it could be the wishbone bushes. With the car in the air and the wheel give it a shake and have a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking that too as there's nothing else left to replace it's all been done like a new car now I'll order 2 on friday see what happens after there fitted there the cast ones £75 each

worth checking the fitting of the wheel bearing if they have been recently fitted, there is a clip that stops the bearing coming out of the hub housing, if fitted with a press it is very difficult to get the retaining clip in place correctly, the result can be that the bearing start to come out of the housing

Thanks but bearings haven't been touched although i do have a fancy bearing extractor for when that time comes.

So shaking stopped after new unipart discs where put on been on about 2 months now it's just started shaking again surely they can't be warped AGAIN

So shaking stopped after new unipart discs where put on been on about 2 months now it's just started shaking again surely they can't be warped AGAIN

There is one remote possibility, a seized piston in the brake calliper would push the disc under braking instead of squeezing it together. That MIGHT cause the disc to be warped.

Not a certainty by any means but if everything else is OK then it could be a possible cause.

Does the car pull to one side slightly under hard braking? Is one pad wearing down more than the other???

Clutching at straws here, but if everything else is ok???

Steve B

I had this, went through 3 sets of discs and pads in about 2500 miles before I realised both (17") front wheels had nasty flat spots on the inner rims due to pot-hole damage. The only way to spot this is jack it up, put it on axle stands and spin the wheels while you watch the inner rims from underneath the car with a torch. Or easier if you take it to a garage or tyre place with a lift. I got the wheels straightened and refurbished, it needed new tyres too but after a 4th set of discs and pads it has been fine since - about 7000 miles. The flat spot in the rim causes the tyre to leave contact with the road at that point where the flat is. This causes the disc to wear unevenly, possibly the ABS plays a role too. Hard to believe I know, but worked for me. If your front rims have flat spots then your backs are probably similar. Good luck. Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do suspect my wheels aren't round i have bought another set but they need a refurb but thanks that could well be it,i might nip to kwik fit and get them on a balancing machine see how round they actually are .

Back