Considering a headlight upgrade with Bi-LED projectors

steaman

A2OC Donor
Two years since i poster my HID projector retrofit: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/search.php?searchid=803708 and now I would improve the lights by adding LEDs as source.

I have searched Internet and found tests comparing LED projector vs HID projector, the problem it is in Russian but I think the outcome is that HID is a bit brigther but not som much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDyDGwcX10Q#t=531.185194

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g96tlxGLXM

There are Bi-LED projector kits available, here is an example that I consider: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...60530646662.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.aXCoKe

I am also thinking of adding one projector for the high beam to improve the pattern. This will only be used for high beam.

This only issue I have is the parking light. I have LED bulbs fitted but the plastic tube is so outdated and I would like to replace it with someting else.

Any experiances or thoughts?

At the moment, the best aftermarket LED projector systems are around equal to a good HID system. For instance, Morimoto who are pretty much the best name in aftermarket projector systems, make a bi-LED projector, but the light output is only just as bright as their far cheaper bi-xenon kit.

LED light sources don't really work week in projector systems - the vast majority of OEM LED headlights use massively high-powered chips housed in reflectors. My A3 etron has LED headlights and they're by far the best light source I've ever used, better than my TT OEM bi-xenon kit. Aftermarket systems are not quite there yet, so I'd stick with your current setup for another year - perhaps think about upgrading your bulbs or projectors to give a better cut-off, light colour and light output.

I came to the same conclusion and ordered new 55W HID bulbs and Balasts, 5000K. Will be interesting to compare the light "before" and "after" the upgrade.

I'm also pleased with the LED headlights on my A3!

Rather than install over-driven ballasts and burner units, you should really try using the best projectors and burners available. I can't speak highly enough of Morimoto - their lens glass is superb in terms of light transmission, lessening losses and giving brighter light. Their burner tubes (bulbs) are also of a higher output than most other aftermarket makes (3200L compared to 2800L for a 5k colour temp unit for instance).

Whilst there are many cheap chinese copies of Morimoto projectors around, none give the same performance, cut-off or reliability (5 year warranty anyone?). They're not cheap to buy in the first place, but will give years of trusty service.

It all depends on whether you can get inside your headlamp easily. I still maintain that baking the later sealed Valeo headlights and prising them apart is nigh on impossible without doing irreversible damage to the shell.

If you can get into the headlight, buy the Morimoto H1 kit from here, with 5.5k colour temp burners and the shroud of your preference.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/p...iversal/bixenon-morimoto-mini-h1-stage-3.html

It's as close to a plug and play kit as you'll get.

Wouldn't the performance of the OEM LEDs in your A3 etron be significantly enhanced due to the adaptive headlights? Assuming you have adaptive headlights?

And in case anyone wonders, no, I don't have them on Tank. I do have this exact kit fitted to my motorcycle though. And I'm not on commission from them either.

Thanks Buddy, I'll take a look at it.

I need to check if mine are separable but these eyes need all the help they can get in darkness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wouldn't the performance of the OEM LEDs in your A3 etron be significantly enhanced due to the adaptive headlights? Assuming you have adaptive headlights?

They're not adaptive. There's a cornering function on them, but they don't turn with the steering. Neither are they matrix beams either. However, the light spread, cut-off and evenness means that they don't really need this function. In any road situation now, urban, motorway or unlit country road, I'd choose OEM LED headlights over any other technology. Are they worth an extra £1000 or whatever Audi is charging for them? No - absolutely not. However, they were standard fitment on the etron, but then so should be any safety device, such as mud-flaps. And even indicators, which seem to be optional on most cars these days.

They're not adaptive. There's a cornering function on them, but they don't turn with the steering. Neither are they matrix beams either. However, the light spread, cut-off and evenness means that they don't really need this function. In any road situation now, urban, motorway or unlit country road, I'd choose OEM LED headlights over any other technology. Are they worth an extra £1000 or whatever Audi is charging for them? No - absolutely not. However, they were standard fitment on the etron, but then so should be any safety device, such as mud-flaps. And even indicators, which seem to be optional on most cars these days.

Agreed - my TTS led headlights (non matrix) are the best I've ever had.

I didn't push to matrix either especially since i managed to "turn on" auto high beam function for nowt :)

Within 5 years I cant see halogens being fitted to most cars unless car manufacturers want to keep them as a premium add on product.

Yes Morimoto is the superior choise at a retrofit, but it is also much more expensive than a China kit. I was happy with my Hid retrofit the first year but find it not as bright anymore, thats why I will replace them. In Sweden we use the headlight almost six months of the year and the lifespan on these Chinese bulbs is not on par with oem bulbs.

I did not have a problem baking and splitting my headlights, 130 C and repeating the baking three times.

Agreed - my TTS led headlights (non matrix) are the best I've ever had.

I didn't push to matrix either especially since i managed to "turn on" auto high beam function for nowt :)

Within 5 years I cant see halogens being fitted to most cars unless car manufacturers want to keep them as a premium add on product.

Yes, depending on other options fitted, the auto-dipping high beam is a VCDS switch on job and well worth having for night driving in country areas. I agree - halogen is going the way of tungsten lamps of the 40's and 50's. With increasing needs for electrical efficiency, LED sources will become the norm and even HID will seem quaint.

Yes Morimoto is the superior choise at a retrofit, but it is also much more expensive than a China kit. I was happy with my Hid retrofit the first year but find it not as bright anymore, thats why I will replace them. In Sweden we use the headlight almost six months of the year and the lifespan on these Chinese bulbs is not on par with oem bulbs.

I did not have a problem baking and splitting my headlights, 130 C and repeating the baking three times.
Hmm, to paraphrase you:

"Morimoto are good but expensive, so I'll just get cheap stuff every year or so". Seems like false economy to me. And unlike you having to use your headlights around half the year, my motorcycle has its headlight permanently on. No loss of light after 4 years here, so my initial investment now turns out to be cheaper in the long run.

However, you pays your money etc.

PS I use the bike daily - it's only when there's ice or snow that the A2 is used for travelling to and from work.

You make hasty conclusions. The investment in the chinese projector kit for a fraction of the cost of a Moromoto kit is still sound. The kit was bought without bulbs and Ballasts as I hade a spare set from an old project.

Not really - there's a saying "Buy cheap, buy twice". Seems like you fit right into that category.

I'd also suggest that as we're dealing with items that can cause plenty of annoyance to other oncoming road users if not done right, that the other well known saying "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing right" comes into play here.

As cheap far eastern sourced projectors are known to have poor quality control, solenoids which fail or bounce around etc, I'd say it was false economy to buy cheap.

Why are you blaming me for doing an poor installation? I have adjusted my headlights according to Swedish standard and tested them in our yearly MOT where they check the beam pattern. I dont have any quality problem with the projection from my projector lenses, the only imperfection is the lack of auto levelling.

Using your standards I would suspect you have a bigger problem as the headlight has a higher position on your bike and also a bigger suspension travel. Without auto levelling, all HID installations with a bulb power of more than 25W are illegual in EU and. I also believe auto levelling is more important on a bike than on a car.

Why are you blaming me for doing an poor installation? I have adjusted my headlights according to Swedish standard and tested them in our yearly MOT where they check the beam pattern. I dont have any quality problem with the projection from my projector lenses, the only imperfection is the lack of auto levelling.

Using your standards I would suspect you have a bigger problem as the headlight has a higher position on your bike and also a bigger suspension travel. Without auto levelling, all HID installations with a bulb power of more than 25W are illegual in EU and. I also believe auto levelling is more important on a bike than on a car.

I'm not blaming you at all - I am however commenting on your statement that you think the lights are now in some way deficient and either your eyes have got used to them or that they're dimmer. I did actually say you pays your money, so it's obviously and completely your call.

There's no issue at all with HIDs fitted to the bike - it's passed the MOT every year for the last 3 years that it's needed to and the biggest issue with bikes is not suspension travel, but angular movement as you bank the bike when cornering. Even BMW can only auto-level their K1600 up to a point. In the uk, the letter of the law only applies to cars as motorcycles are not mentioned specifically - a loophole that has not yet been closed. And legality is not measured in wattage, it's a factor of light output, effective lumens and is set at 2000 currently.

I am happy for you!
Both uf us sees to have an approved HID installation of high quality, even if we dont comply to EU regulation about auto levelling. Case closed. :eek:

Back