Bi-Xenon / HID Install Issue

Topsie

Right, just finished installing some HID's & Bi-Xenon Projectors, but I've got a bit of a strange issue

When I flash the headlights, the instrument cluster powers off, then comes back on with a orange steering wheel symbol?

Anybody got any ideas!?

Where have you connected the power feed to the HID control units?
Steering.JPG

Power feed is from the low beam bulb connector, high beam solenoid is powered from the high beam connector.

It seems to work fine, Intermittently when I flash or enable the high beam, the whole console just loses all its power then comes back with the aforementioned symbol!? The HIDs are ever so slightly flickering but I've ordered a canceller unit and I'll order some chokes as I've got some radio interference (even when the radio is off). Could the interference be messing with the ECU?

In that case you probably have interferance from the HID Controllers. The quality differ between suppliers.

Copy from other forum.

There are three factors that could produce interference in an HID system:
1) The ballast itself. This is unlikely since it is enclosed in a metal case which is grounded to the chassis (see Faraday Cage)

2) The wires between the CEM and the ballast. The ballast operates via a 200-500khz boost converter. If this is poorly filtered it will spit out EMI back down the supply lines. Since they were designed for halogen bulbs they are unshielded, and basically act as a 15 or 20 foot antenna to broadcast that interference. This can be fixed pretty easily, with a capacitor-inductor filter at the ballast, which will prevent high frequency transients down the line.

3) The HV wires between the ballast and the bulb. These are shorter and thus have less radiative length. But it's possible that these are the culprit, as they do transmit HV at HF. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about these, because the ballast requires a direct connection to the bulbs to ensure proper ignition and arc stabilization. What you can do is shield the HV lines, and the easiest way to do this is with stainless steel hose sleeving, and then ground that shield to the chassis. This will greatly cut down on the amount of radiated EMI.

HID's cannot be fitted for the high beams as they take a few seconds to full power up safely. Trying to flash HID's can end up in blown fuses or intermittent problems like yours. Hope this helps.

HID's cannot be fitted for the high beams as they take a few seconds to full power up safely. Trying to flash HID's can end up in blown fuses or intermittent problems like yours. Hope this helps.

This case its bixenon kit so fine joshua

Never did find a solution to this, I just don't flash my headlights in quick succession. I've already lost the passengers side bulb so I'm going to blame poor quality and take it away as learning from experience from trying to do things on the cheap!

Nick

The dash off/steering wheel symbol is indicative of a power loss (or surge?). The power steering is driven by an electric motor and if you turn the ignition off and on again quickly then the car gets confused and throws a steering motor error. I used to have to do this to reset the ECU when I was getting limp mode with the turbo (cracked intercooler) and a quick off/on would resolve the issue but every now and again upset the steering circuit. Flashing a Xenon usually means opening and closing a shutter which blanks the high beam section of a single bulb - thats why Xenon's provide a sharp edge of light. You don't energise a Xenon to flash it because, as has been said above, it takes too long for the Xenon to ignite, for it to be used as a flash.

Which would pin the problem down to the solenoid that operates the shutter on the projector... interestingly i'm not sure the bulb has failed but the fuse - probably down to poor Insulation resistance on the shutter solenoid which would explain the power loss/surge...

I'll investigate over the weekend:

Back