EGR valve replacement or clean

raveboy

Hi all, this is my first post in this informative group so please excuse my potential ignorance. I had a VAG diagnostics scan today due to a number of issues that have recenty occured, EM light on and overheating being 2 of them. The scan came back saying I had potential errors with the EGR. Now being of the replace with new camp, if i swapped it out for a new one do I have to plug back into VCDS to recalibrate and program or is it a straight swap ?
It's a 1.4 petrol SE 2001.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

I'm sure that if you buy the EGR valve designated for your model and year it will be a simple swap. My mechanic tried to clean mine a while ago and when it was refitted the warning light went off without a reset. The downside was it came back on again pretty quickly as my EGR valve was at the end of its life.

or can the EGR be blanked off, leaving the value in place of course, would then have the added advantage preventing crap getting into the inlet manifold.

I'm not 100% sure if this can be done on the 1.4 petrol AUA engine as on some engines it will through up an engine management light by being blanked off, sometimes the solution is to drill a small (e.g. 2 to 3 mm hole) in the blanking plate, this lets enough gases through to prevent the MIL light, but reduces the amount of crap allowed into the inlet manifold substancially

Thanks for the responses chaps, Think I will whip it off and have a look but probably just replace it then. Does using more advanced fuels (i.e. more expensive :) ) produce a cleaner burn and less throttle and exhaust crap ??

I have a problem with oil leaks and the first thing my mechanic told was my EGR is one of the culprits. He will blank it out (my model is 1.4 TDI 75hp AMF engine). He told that there are not many benefits to have it restored or replacing it with a new one. Here in Lithuania there is no tax on carbon, you just have to be in the limits.
As i've read somewhere recently you don't even have to program it out, just blanking will be fine.

I have a problem with oil leaks and the first thing my mechanic told was my EGR is one of the culprits. He will blank it out (my model is 1.4 TDI 75hp AMF engine). He told that there are not many benefits to have it restored or replacing it with a new one. Here in Lithuania there is no tax on carbon, you just have to be in the limits.
As i've read somewhere recently you don't even have to program it out, just blanking will be fine.

I have the same engine code and found an OEM Wahler EGR delivered for £120 from Germany. That and the rocker cover were the main leaks.

Hi guys, I'm looking for a new EGR as well and there's a lot on eBay. I'm not sure the £20 ones will do a good job, but there's an Rtg made for 37.99. Any recommendations? Cheers

I got this off Amazon including the gaskets - it's now 5 quid cheaper at £30. Probably less good than a Pierburg or other OEM-grade EGR, but also a quarter of the price, which for a 350 quid AUA car on 185k at the time that I was fettling as a project was worth it - fitted it and all EGR-related messages disappeared and have never come back. Original was knackered.

Back