Previous A2 owner thinking of getting back into A2 ownership

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
I was a member here back when I bought a 2003 A2 1.6 FSI new... I liked the car but was more impressed with the diesel when I had a loaner from dealer...

Currently doing 100 miles a day in traffic free motorways on my commute in a Fiat Qubo getting 56 mpg

Don't really need the space of the Qubo anymore so thinking the A2 might be the car for me again...

I'd like to get a diesel one this time but reading all the anti diesel press these days is worrying... I've moved out of central London now so not to worried about new diesel charges the London mayor is going to impose but worried this tactic spreads to other cities...

I've installed a pioneer apple CarPlay head unit into my Qubo and would love to put one in an A2 although I've read about the issues of going from single din to double din headunites

I'm looking for economy / good mpg and a quiet ride as I drive a lot but it's at night on traffic free roads so lots of cruising at 60mph or so ahem...

I've sound proofed the Qubo and love CarPlay features and am happy with Qubo I have now except it isn't as fun as the A2 and if I can get better mpg or near what I'm getting now in petrol model I'd love to get an A2

It's never been a better time to buy an A2, prices are at rock bottom at the moment for all but the high spec low mileage examples. A very nice TDI could be picked up for around £2500. Remember that if you buy a TDI 90 or a 2004 on TDI 75 they are Euro 4 compliant so could be used in London without the charge.

Last edited:
Remember that if you buy a TDI 90 or a 2004 on TDI 75 they are Euro 4 compliant so could be used in London without the charge.

Not according to BBC website today: "The charge will apply to petrol vehicles that do not meet Euro 4 standards and diesel vehicles that do not meet Euro 6 standards."

It's very annoying that Black taxis are exempt. No reason for this now they have an electric Black taxi - if ordinary people are forced to change so should taxi drivers, especially as their engines are running non-stop.

Not according to BBC website today: "The charge will apply to petrol vehicles that do not meet Euro 4 standards and diesel vehicles that do not meet Euro 6 standards."

It's very annoying that Black taxis are exempt. No reason for this now they have an electric Black taxi - if ordinary people are forced to change so should taxi drivers, especially as their engines are running non-stop.

Alan was referring to the changes due in October this year.

The change to euro 6 being the requirement is not until 2020.

Very confusing, especially since I have email confirmation from TFL that a TDI 90 and a FSI will not be subject to any surcharge due to the October 17 changes. After 2020 it is even simpler, any car manufactured prior to 2015 will not be exempt (except the special cases such as Classic (pre 1973) and disabled drivers and some other special exemptions.

But I will still hang on to my (our) tdis, they are still extremely economical and low in emissions, this does smack of a "Knee Jerk" reaction.

Steve B (just checking in)

Thanks for the clarification Steve, Good you are still around this forum with your wealth of knowledge.

Maybe I should make a road trip to London before 2020!

thanks guys...

I was thinking the diesel was the one for me but now I'm open to a petrol A2...

I'd like to install the double din Apple Carplay headunit I've put in my Fiat but from what I've read most A2's are single din variety.. is there a particualar dashboard that lends itself to chopping for fitting a double din head unit? the analogue dial temp controls or the digital climate control?

I guess I could make do with bluetooth streaming to a stereo...

do folks with the opensky roof never open it or is it ok to open it if you have a regime of putting oil/grease on it etc to keep it moving ok?

Having the roof serviced, cleaned and regreased periodically is important. Proactive self-maintenance is to open it regularly. I am lucky enough that my A2 is a fair-weather and show car, but the roof is opened weekly without fail, even during the winter. You can hear it starting to seal in the same way that rear door rubbers do if the doors aren't used for a while. This puts pressure on the roof internals and the stress is a contributor to failure. Preventing the roof to seal in this way is a help and it keeps the components operational too. History did suggest not to overly use it to protect it, but that may have been false advice.

do folks with the opensky roof never open it or is it ok to open it if you have a regime of putting oil/grease on it etc to keep it moving ok?

thanks guys...

I use my opensky regularly as well. 'Use it or loose it' Springs to mind.

thanks guys...

I was thinking the diesel was the one for me but now I'm open to a petrol A2...

I'd like to install the double din Apple Carplay headunit I've put in my Fiat but from what I've read most A2's are single din variety.. is there a particualar dashboard that lends itself to chopping for fitting a double din head unit? the analogue dial temp controls or the digital climate control?

I guess I could make do with bluetooth streaming to a stereo...

Hi I have a rather nice very original A2 02 plate in black either soul black interior. It is a 1.4 petrol just had a replacement gear new full LUK clutch kit water pump and timing belts full service. Breakers checked and adjusted and the total interior taken out cleaned and refitted. Comes with 12 months mot. Full advert is in the for sale section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back