A2 Interior Fan stuck on at full power. Help!

Hi - My dad's A2 has developed a very strange problem, the interior fan is stuck on full power. The temperature can be changed but the fan speed is fixed on full. We are at a loss. I have been unable to find anything involving the fan stuck on, only fans that have stopped working completely. Any help greatly appreciated. Car is an TDI 1.4 2000

Hello,

Does the car have climate control or just standard heating?

Climate control is a digital control until and the standard heater is via rotary dials.

I suspect you've the standard controls.

Cheers
Jeff

Hi there - It is the digital climate control unit. I replaced the original (that was digital too) as the buttons had rubbed off. That was over a year ago and has been working fine ever since.

Hi there - It is the digital climate control unit. I replaced the original (that was digital too) as the buttons had rubbed off. That was over a year ago and has been working fine ever since.

Well that is most unusual.

I would remove the climate control panel and disconnect the wiring from the back, then reconnect the wiring and see if there is any change.
If the same issue is present I would recommend a scan to see what is occuring.

Do you still have the original unit that was fitted - it would be worth fitting it if you have to see if the problem is resolved or not.

Cheers
Jeff

Well that is most unusual.

I would remove the climate control panel and disconnect the wiring from the back, then reconnect the wiring and see if there is any change.
If the same issue is present I would recommend a scan to see what is occuring.

Do you still have the original unit that was fitted - it would be worth fitting it if you have to see if the problem is resolved or not.

Cheers
Jeff

The unit has always come on very briefly when the car is switched on. Not allowing any buttons to perform a function. after about 10 seconds the unit switches off and works as it should. Until the latest above problem that is.

I will try disconnecting it tonight to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for your advice.

It could be the fresh-air blower control unit J126. You need to remove the glove box and the fresh-air blower to get access. I don't know if it's behind the glowe box also on RHD vehicles.

UPDATE: right this is an odd one! Popped out the ac unit and disconnected everything. Fans. Still. On. Even with no unit in place. The fans remained on full power. Any ideas guys?

Back