Return to factory mapping? TDi 90hp (new member)

Merlin3046

I'm in the process of buying a 54-plate 90hp TDi. It appears to have been re-mapped, and the seller reports low mpg figures, albeit on short runs. At the risk of talking heresy, what can I do to re-set it to the factory mapping? Audi say they can only help by selling me a whole new ECU at a suitably astronomic price, and the one mapper I've spoken to says it's difficult if the original settings aren't available.

Obviously, first step is to establish for myself what the consumption is, which may not be terrible on longer runs (which is how I'll be using the car). However, I'm also concerned about emissions and insurance.

All suggestions welcome. Looking forward to this new adventure.

Hello,

It is unlikely that an ECU map is going to be responsible for poor economy. There are many things to check before going down the route of changing ECU maps.
Generally it is found that a eecent remap can assist with fuel economy (obviously assuming the car isn't being driven hard).

Once you have the car I'd recommend having it scanned with VCDS (diagnostic software).
If you go to Audi for the scan you are likely to not get a print-out of any issues, but there are many of us on here with the diagnostic tools to help you.

A good plan might be to attend one/some of the social events, where diagnostic checks are available FOC.

If you do decide you would like to go back to a standard ECU map, I'm sure a few of us on here can help, but this is not the first step.

Cheers
Jeff

When i remapped my 90 it actually improved MPG when driven softly and slowly so as Jeff suggested there may well be another issue. Another theory is that the previous owner may have been running on permanent "Econ" or air con mode which can affect fuel economy.

When I contacted my insurance company to inform them of the remap there was no additional premium. They said that as the power increase was less than 10% there would be no extra charge.

Cheers
Dave:)

Hi Dave, how did you manage to remap the TDi 90 and get less than 9 bhp! I thought they mapped to 120bhp (ish) - 30% :)

I think remapping is unlikely to reduce your mpg as others have said. That said, I have seen on various auction sites over the years some seriously dodgy home 'performance enhancing' mods available that you plug in ( to your MAF) for example. Bad things.

Of course, it could be normal, and many other things could affect mpg. Run it for a while, see what figures you get. Our 90 does 60mpg on a 70mile round trip a day.

Chris

Hi Dave, how did you manage to remap the TDi 90 and get less than 9 bhp! I thought they mapped to 120bhp (ish) - 30% :)

Vince said the original BHP was around 96 and he mapped it up to 116 so it could have been 20% for insurance purposes.. sorry James.

Last edited:
I presume it was totally worth it? I will need to get my 90 down to vince at some point in the future, am I right in saying Vince also does the 6 speed (MYP) conversion?

If I recall correctly, when I had my remap done at Stealth Racing, Vince said I could return any time to have it restored to the factory setting FOC.

If that's correct, it might be worth seeing if the previous owner had it done at Stealth Racing and if Vince would reset for a subsequent owner.

PS I would be surprised if a remap was 10% or less, hardly seem worth the cost and bother.

I think he does yes... well worth a visit and he kindly showed me around some very nice upgraded VW Corrado,s.

DON'T DO IT Corrados take over your life like ... oh wait A2s... :) Damn - I've known Vince for years, and did sterling work on my Corrados, and I still visit every now and then when the Rocco needs a tune.

Offers of help are always nice on this forum, however with something like a remap of the ECU things have to be very clear.

If an offer is taken up it should be fully understood if this is at the owners risk, or if there is any guarantee of workmanship or replacement item should something go very wrong.
Unless professional equipment is used, with recovery CRC partitions (equipment costs ££££thousands), then there is always a possibility that the ECU could end up being "bricked".
If the ECU ends up damaged you are in a world of pain.
The OP has already verified with Audi the cost of a replacement ECU, and this is without the cost of pairing the ECU to the immobiliser.

If it's just a favour being done between two consentintg parties, this must be clearly stated prior to any commitment, and the risks should be understood.

I'm sure those who offer this type of service as a non-professional arrangement do so with the utmost confidence in their equipment and abilities, but this is not a guarantee.
As an example, Stealth Racing will remap an ECU with a guarantee, but there is an associated cost of around £230 (not 100% certain of the cost).
There are many other excellent ECU remappers around.

It goes without say that the Forum accepts no libility for damage/cost caused by local agreements entered into by its members.

Cheers
Jeff

Back