Driver side central locking and window issue

dexpal4

Past Member
Hi guys,

I recently bought an Audi a2 1.4 SE 2001, I bought it knowing that the driver side window wasn't working. I was hoping that this was simple to fix but it's proving to be a bit tricky as i also discovered the central locking works on all doors but the drivers.

Symptoms:
Driver side electric window doesn't work BUT the passenger window does work using the switches on drivers side.

I can hear a click on the window motor when i use the switch.

Electric mirrors don't respond.

The window switches on the drivers side are not illuminated but the switch on the passenger side is.

Central locking doesn't work on the drivers door.. i have to use the key to lock, strangely sometimes i can use the remote to unlock the doors(including the drivers one).

What I've tried so far:
I have changed the switches on the drivers side.

I have tried changing the driver door electric window motor.

I think I'm checking the right ones but fuses seem ok, swapped them around from different positions(with known working ones)

I have made sure the service flap on the bonnet is closed tightly(adjusted the screw) - for the central locking problem

I can't see any obvious signs of damage to the looms, it's hard to tell though.

I am out of ideas at the moment, i am hoping there is an expert out there that can help me :) any suggestions would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
Dex.

My first thought was the drivers door microswitch but if the door lock sometimes works with the fob I'd be more inclined to think its the cccu.

Do you have any issue wiyh the interior light not coming on or issues with the petrol flap not unlocking?

The interior lights seem to work ok and the petrol flap opens everytime without any issues ... Do you think there are any more checks i could do or this might be one for a professional to look at?

Hi Dex,

These types of issues are always hard to locate.

I might be inclined to start at the A pillar. Open the door and locate the bellows. Behind the bellows is the loom between the cabin and door. The system comprises of a male/femal plug socket arrangement.
It is possible that there is either some corrosion on the pins or broken wiring that is causing your issues.
I can't remember how the 2 halves of the connector come apart, but I'm sure there are some guides somewhere, might be worth looking in the "How To" section (if you struggle let us know).

If you do not notice any obvious broken wires it would be worth spraying some good electrical contact cleaner on the male/female pins.

If you get stuck you could drop member Timmus a PM.
He'll generally provide some good advice when he has time, or if required I'm sure he'd be happy to quote you for a fix when he's next working in London.

Good luck in finding the fault and resolving - please update this thread with results (positive or negative) as it helps others.

Cheers
Jeff

Thank you for the advice, I'm going to try trace the loom through this weekend.. I'll be sure to let you know the outcome!

I've checked the loom as best I can, no obvious signs of corrosion anywhere, the earth points look good as well.. check the look in the drivers door, near where the fuse box is and check the connections in to the CCU. I think i may need an expert to look at it, i will message Timmus unless you know of any other members in the London area?

Sorry as in using the central locking button on the door to open the locks? That does seem to work.

Hi,
I've made a breakthrough!! I'm not sure how I missed this with all my checks but I have found damaged wiring in the loom where you mentioned!I tried wriggling a bit to get the wires to make contact but can't it working.. I think I might have to remove the cabling completely to have a closer look!
Pictures attached! Is this Worth fixing or replacing the loom to be safe?

Thanks

Pictures of the wire damage.
605a8815dcd385357cac4152be35bed0.jpg
f55bef7bdf07bce99e0b4762c9696421.jpg
1d547f05392975a1e9952e43fd622013.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hi,
I've made a breakthrough!! I'm not sure how I missed this with all my checks but I have found damaged wiring in the loom where you mentioned!I tried wriggling a bit to get the wires to make contact but can't it working.. I think I might have to remove the cabling completely to have a closer look!
Pictures attached! Is this Worth fixing or replacing the loom to be safe?

Thanks

Hi - pleased you've found some issues. I suspect when you part the connector you'll find corrosion or broken wiring.

It's all fixable - you might need to order some repair wires (which are predominantly bought for the pins, not the cable), but you'll need to identify what pins and wires are damaged before going down that route.

If you get stuck, as said before, drop member Timmus a PM as he'd probably be able to offer great advice, or even fix the fault for you should you need this type of service.

Cheers
Jeff

Hi - pleased you've found some issues. I suspect when you part the connector you'll find corrosion or broken wiring.

It's all fixable - you might need to order some repair wires (which are predominantly bought for the pins, not the cable), but you'll need to identify what pins and wires are damaged before going down that route.

If you get stuck, as said before, drop member Timmus a PM as he'd probably be able to offer great advice, or even fix the fault for you should you need this type of service.

Cheers
Jeff
Hi, despite discovering the obvious damage at the top of the cabling close to plug there wasn't any issue there. A bit more fiddling and I discovered the thick red cable(assume it was a power cable) had a bit of movement in the loom, gave it a slight pull and it came all the way out of the loom... The cable looked like it had a clean cut through it about 10cm's in to the loom. Closer inspection and it was a clear case of corrosion, the copper wire was green from corrosion which must have weakened the cable until it eventually snapped... Found the other end in the loom, cleared up as much of the corrosion as I could, re-joined the cable, insulated... aaaaand BOOM it's all come back to life, central locking, electric mirrors and electric window arr now working perfectly

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi Guys.
Read your thread with a lot of interest as Im experiencing a similar problem with my 2001 A2 (LH Drive) and hope someone might be able to give me some advice.
Heres the symptoms. Few months ago, as I was driving along I noticed the interior light and hazards started blinking or sort of buzzing as if they wanted to turn on but the connection wasnt quite made. This continued for a while and then the electric windows and central locking stopped working off the FOB or the key or from the inside switch. Nor will the petrol cap unlock.
The funny thing is if I drive the car for about 40 minutes things start to return to normal. This preceded by the aforementioned hazard and interior light blinking. If I leave the interior light on, return to normal is announced by a return to a full on bright condition taking about ten minutes to achieve. Then I can operate the windows normally and lock the doors on the FOB when I get out. If I go out ten minutes later and the cars been off its back to being all inop again. I can then open the door on the key and the other doors from inside handles except the rear passenger side door (remember its LHD) which stays permanently locked from inside and outside until my next 40 minute drive. As does the boot. If I need to fill up I found the trick (on the forum) that I can lean through the back seats, and access the fuel flap door mechanism to open the flap. That took me a while ! Am I looking for a loose wire, a sticky relay or is it likely to be this CCCU thing? Anyone got any ideas how much these are to repair?

The other day I reached home midway through this transformation and was able to hear a clicking seemingly coming from under the gear stick area.
Oh and when its not working I can open drivers door with the key but the rear passenger door and the boot(its LHD) , and the petrol flap stay locked.

Oh and in the middle of my limited trouble shooting I changed the battery as car ran flat and wouldnt jump. Car starts and drives otherwise fine now.

Can anyone give me some advice where to start.

Many thanks

Jon

try the following first, this MIGHT get your remote locking working again.

Put the key in the ignition and turn it on so that it is ready to start.
With the ignition on press the unlock button on the key fob a few times, then remove the key and try the remote locking.

Repeat this with the other key.

As for the other issues, it sounds like the battery either drained down to nothing or there could be a bad earth in the system (possibly the connections on the battery even.

Steve B

Thanks Steve, just been out and tried that but no joy.
Any other ideas ? You think its best to go to auto electrician or god forbid...Audi ?

Cheers

Jon.

Thanks Steve, just been out and tried that but no joy.
Any other ideas ? You think its best to go to auto electrician or god forbid...Audi ?

Cheers

Jon.

It is sounding like a faulty CCCU perhaps, but the first thing toi do is to find someone who can scan the car for faults.

Do you have anyone nearby that has the ability to scan for faults?

Steve B

Sadly not and I'm in Hamburg. Maybe I have to take it to a garage for the initial diagnostic and a quote. If its a CCCU - do you know if thats something you can just swap out ? Seen a guy on here offering a reconditioning service - suppose could get one of my German friends to search the same service here for me.
Thanks

Yes, it is something that a few of us can do, it is not that complicated as long as you get exactly the same part number (to keep it simple)

You unplug the existing one, clip it out of position and replace it with another one. When you have done that your remote operation of the locks will not work until someone with the right cable and software has coded the keys, but you would be no worse off than you are now and everything apart from the remote locking should work fine.

You could PM user Timmus and ask if he can offer a reconditioned unit as a replacement.

If nobody can do the coding of the keys for you then at least Audi will be able to and since you will have already replaced the CCCU all they have to do is to code the keys.

Steve B

Sadly not and I'm in Hamburg. Maybe I have to take it to a garage for the initial diagnostic and a quote. If its a CCCU - do you know if thats something you can just swap out ? Seen a guy on here offering a reconditioning service - suppose could get one of my German friends to search the same service here for me.
Thanks

If you are a member of the German A2oc then search for a guy called LAU.
He may still be offering his CCCU repair service direct to German members, and having your own unit reconditioned is a lot more straight forward than fitting a 'new' one.

Failing that, contact one of the UK members who offers the service - though the postage back and forth may make it rather expensive.

Cheers Spike

Thanks Steve - this sounds a good option.
Sorry for the daft question - but how do I access my current CCCU so I check the part number? Its located where ? Passenger footwell area ?
Will let you know how I get on. Cheers

Thanks Spike - that also looks like an option. Im not in the German club but my language skills should just about stretch to joining and searching out LAU. Will give that a shot.

Thanks both

Jon.

Last edited:
Back