Blower Motor

66Beetle

A2OC Donor
Hello There !

Back at the best place to come if we have a problem with the A2.

Out in the A2 yesterday when there was a sudden noise like birds tweeting then the Blower stopped working.

If you try to put it on now the bar display of Blower Speed goes to Full then drops back to Zero.

What will it be please ? I' guessing the Blower Motor has seized and blown the Fuse ?

Any advice appreciated please.

in short remove glovebox and blower motor is on the inside of the car, one of the attaching bolts is some what difficult to get at :)

Once you know where that hidden bolt is, that's not that difficult.
I dismantled the motor from its housing and sprayed it generously with WD40. That freed the bearing and it was 2 years ago :)

Thanks for the Tip.

I got a quote for fitting a Genuine New one £337.67 !

Sounds like I shall be having a go myself.

Thanks for the Tip.

I got a quote for fitting a Genuine New one £337.67 !

Sounds like I shall be having a go myself.

Try getting through the recirculation flap , you should be able get your fingers into the fan from there, you can then give it a spin to try and free it up.

That hidden bolt can be a nightmare. You need a spline driver long enough to reach the bolt through the hole in the cross piece, but not too long or you can't manoeuvre it into the hole. The handle of the driver can sometimes stop you from getting the driver in far enough to reach the bolt head.

Definitely try spinning it with your fingers first (Carefully, spin it and get your fingers out of the way quickly!!!)

Steve B

To my amazement I have now removed the Glove Box and the Blower. Just in time for tea !

I found some of the Blower Screws easier ( easier ? Maybe slightly less difficult ) using a Socket, Extensions and Ratchet Handle, rather than Spline Drive on a Screwdriver Handle, especially the Top Left. Just need someone to fit a new one for me now ! I reckon there will be a lot where the Blower has been replace that do not have the Top Left Screw any more !

Last edited:
Indeed, I used a micro ratchet like this : (same as mine)
[video]http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag202/dqservices/Bahco/bahco%202058%20s26%20EBAY_zpsd9yb8qia.jpg[/video]
I may have used a longer bit.

You can separate the housing from the motor itself (+ fan), it is just clipped with "pins". (easy to figure out when looking at it).
Then you can spray WD40 or equivalent in the motor.
Since you have already removed the motor assembly, trying that fix won't cost you much time.
You can then try the motor without refitting it, but BEWARE of its torque when it spins up !!

Any suggestions which make of replacement Blower to buy please ?

My trusted VAG Independant Garage said it would still be more than £300 to fit a new one, even though I have removed the Glove Box and Blower myself, so only about £35 less than it was for them to do the whole job !

Is there a Special VAG Tool to line up and Re Fit the Top Left Screw. I can not see me ever getting that one back in. Does it matter if I leave it out ?

suggest getting a fan from a breaker, maybe A2steve can help out with that, would expect to pay about £15 to £20 for one
If you can't get the b***ard screw back in I would not worry to much :)

Cheers,

Didn't fancy doing the job again if a used replacement failed. Got a new Hella Behr unit from Murrays Direct with 12 month Warranty for £91.85 Delivered by DPD. Fitted it an hour after it was delivered. Working fine now. Never got the Top Left Screw back in but it makes no difference. I lost it on removal and could not find it !

Be careful. There are a couple of eBay sellers saying they are selling Genuine OE VW / Audi Parts slightly cheaper than the one I bought. When you ask them about the Warranty it is only something like 30 Days or 90 Days. Genuine VW / Audi Parts come with a 2 Year Warranty. These sellers say they are still Genuine OE but they do not pay for the Warranty so they can buy and sell them cheaper.

Back