glass roof or normal roof for quietest cabin?

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
which style roof makes for the quietest interior? the open sky glass roof thingy or the normal roof?

I'm a big fan of quiet interiors... I have sound insulated my current car (fiat qubo) and really like how much quieter it is now... and makes listening to music more enjoyable too...

also, has anyone done any sound deadening in their A2? What areas have you done?

I have not tried any sound deadening but after fitting my Bose sound system in the A2 it seemed to deal with any noise a whole lot better especially at motorway speeds.
I think I read somewhere that Bose has a built in sound cancelling thingy (technical term) but not sure if that is correct.

I would say the std roof will be a little quieter as there is nothing to disturb the airflow over the roof, where as on the open sky there are small gaps between the glass panels which will cause the airflow to de-laminate and create vortices thus making noise - in reality and think it will be hard to tell the difference
I fitted double foams behind the door cards and this as made a difference to the interior noise, the petrol is less noisy at town speeds, but the TDI is less noisy at motorway speeds
Fitting the TDI under tray would be an obvious place to start on the petrol models

thanks guys...

i would have thought the glass roof was quieter than the traditional roof...

i suppose it might depend on what type of noise? rain drops seemed loud on my old 1.6 FSI with a traditional roof... but might be less intrusive on glass roof...

and then there is the noise at motorway speeds... i suppose a traditional roof would be easier to add additional sound proofing too as well?

Having owned variants of both, I would say there isn't an overly grand difference, just that the benefits are slightly unique to each. These have all been covered on this thread. The non-OSS in very susceptible to noise from rain drops, especially heavy or concentrated rain, whereas the OSS handles this much better. The non-OSS, as you would expect with a solid roof, is the quietest on the move, but not by much; unless the roof is open. :) The glass roof is pretty well sealed overall mind and makes for a very sturdy feel. The benefit of an airy cabin and ability to let in some air on a summers day, make it a winner for me given a choice. There just aren't the downsides to opt for a fixed roof over the OSS. Even a non-working system carries the aesthetics and airiness in feel.

Last edited:
Having owned variants of both, I would say there isn't an overly grand difference, just that the benefits are slightly unique to each. These have all been covered on this thread. The non-OSS in very susceptible to noise from rain drops, especially heavy or concentrated rain, whereas the OSS handles this much better. The non-OSS, as you would expect with a solid roof, is the quietest on the move, but not by much; unless the roof is open. :) The glass roof is pretty well sealed overall mind and makes for a very sturdy feel. The benefit of an airy cabin and ability to let in some air on a summers day, make it a winner for me given a choice. There just aren't the downsides to opt for a fixed roof over the OSS. Even a non-working system carries the aesthetics and airiness in feel.
I'd have to disagree Mr C sorry, I still carry the scars on my head from your fsi's lovely open sky from 2015 AITP having travelled there with the roof open in glorious sunshine lol, so fine if you've hair like yourself lol!
On a serious note I'd say oss is quieter than tin having had both!
Cheers Jeff

Last edited:
Glass roof sounds great with the OSS fully open and the wind in your ears!
Enjoy it whilst it's working! (Mine still is, but every time I open it, I fear it may be the last..!)

Back