Audi a2 - Whirring/Whining noise in lower gears

dexpal4

Past Member
Hi all :)

I've just started to notice there is a whirring or whining noise when accelerating through 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears. It is not present when idling and not present on 4th/5th gear(however, this might be because of the wind drowning the noise i'm not sure)

Any ideas what this might be? Cam tensioner? Transmission? Bearings?

Many Thanks,
Dexter Palmer.

I would start with checking the gearbox oil level
Does it make the same noise if you turn the steering from left to right to left to right as you drive down the road - this would indicate a wheel bearing if the noise changes from loud to quiet and back to loud as the steering is turned L to R

Have you recently changed tyres ?

Cheers,

I will check later if the sounds is the same turning left and right... I haven't changed tyres but did get the 2 front anti roll bar links changed recently which involves removing the front tyres... In fact the sound has probably started around the same time, not sure if that is a coincidence or not?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

might be worth swapping the front wheel over just to rule out the tyres bedding in to the corner they are now on (just in case they got swapped from LH to RH when the ARB's were changed)

I watched them change the ARB's, the tyres were put back on the same side they came off but the mechanic had a tough time taking the wheel bolts off even with a bolt gun. The bolts were very corroded so he use a wire gun once he got them off to restore them and soaked the bolts in oil to clean them up. He noted that because he did this they might work loose after a bit of driving and that I would have to tighten them. I tightened them after 24 hours, I wonder if they have worked loose again... I'll try tighten them to rule that out.

Just tightened the wheel nuts, a few worked loose and it's much better.. There is a slight whirring when I reach 2k revs in 2nd gear but a lot better and no noise in 3rd gear. I wonder if the slight whirring left can be cleared, will wheel alignment help? I am going to have to change the front tyres in the next few months anyway!

PS: thank you so much for your help, simple fix ... super happy now :)

Back