Gearbox problems - reluctance to enter gear

Pinkythelabrat

A2OC Donor
Good afternoon,

I'm looking for some expert advice on gearboxes.

I've only driven my A2 and this has always been a problem which has worried me but I wonder if anyone might be able to give me some help in identifying the problem.

I've already found that I have a worn syncromesh ring as I get a 'crunch' on moving into third when the car is cold. I did have water dripping from the bonnet outwith the wee cup and landing on the gear selectors (thank you for that helpful post) and I've sorted that too (the little rubber pipe was full of MUD as well) and lubricated the selectors which seemed to help a bit. I'm also going to ask the garage to change the gearbox oil next time I'm not working for a couple of days (Christmas maybe :D).

And so , to get to my point. My problem is that the car is often very 'reluctant' to allow me to select first and second. It is a bit like stirring a tub of spanners. It is not every time but seems to be whenever I'm in need of the gear change! When I go to select the gear the gearstick sometimes won't move into the position to select - it feels like I'm pushing against a solid plate. If I pull it back then try again with a shove it usually moves in. Sometimes I have to pull back, reclutch and then select. That is almost always successful. It is just a problem because it is unpredictable and is usually at traffic lights and roundabouts! It only affects first and second.

Any ideas anyone? Would a gearbox refurb be the best idea?

Alex.

ps. I just found all the 'tips' and 'simple guides' for the newbies and have read them all with great joy. Brilliant. :)

have you done the gear box cable adjustment, 5mm diameter pin and L shaped pin on the gearbox tower engaged, then release cable adjusters and re engage the adjusters

If this does not help then it is either going to be a clutch sticking issue or the gear box itself
Are you on a Petrol or diesel ?

Hi Paul,

I asked the local garage to do the cable adjustment after seeing it on this site.

They said they did it but I may actually try it myself just in case.

I'm in a 2002 Diesel. AMF EWQ. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

certainly worth doing it again, as if it is incorrect it can make engaging 1 & 2 or 5 very difficult

Back