Audi a2 1.4 petrol - remap?

dexpal4

Past Member
Hi A2OC members,

I hope everyone is having a great Easter! I am loving my A2 more and more everyday but there is 1 small issue with the one I have, she doesn't have much of a kick at 75bhp... All the forums I have read there doesn't seem to be a way to gain a decent bhp increase I have a few questions...

Is there a remap that anyone has done using a VAG COM cable? If so what gains did you manage to get? I have read there is a remap but you can only get 5-10bhp out of it(better than nothing) so wouldn't mind giving it a crack!

Or is it long story short, get the TDI model?

Thanks in advance,
Dex.

There is the 1.6 FSI!

You'll get minimal gains and poor MPG from a map on a naturally aspirated petrol engine that, in my opinion isn't not worth the hassle.

Nick

As Topsie has already said, you won't get much HP gain from a remap, unfortunately. I spoke to Stealth about this while there getting a friend's 1.4 tdi 90 remapped to 120bhp! *sob*

However, alternative options you may want to look into...
1. If you have the 1.4 BBY engine, look up the BBZ - its' basically the same block, but with different internals and - more crucially - 100bhp. I imagine this would necessitate an engine swap rather than keeping your original block and no, I don't know the ramifications, e.g. if it's even possible, whether the ECU would need reworking etc.
2. Could try looking for an electric turbo mod, although I should think this is more hassle than it's worth, unless you're intent on sticking with the 1.4 petrol. Would be quite 'trendy' though, small capacity turbo engines are all the rage currently!

I can sympathise, I frequently wish there was a way to make my 1.4 petrol more punchy without changing the whole car or spending fortunes, but there just doesn't seem to be an easy or cheap way to do it that I know of.

I think a lot of people under value the way the 1.4 petrol drives and handles. It's a great revvy little engine that never fails me on the motorways and is happy going along at 80-90. Of course it is well out of date compared to a modern 1.4l, but it is solid technology compared to the FSI, and as the car ages that is reassuring. I have driven a 1.6 and I did not notice a big world of difference (maybe it was not the best example I was testing). There must be, but I have never felt it. In saying that if I saw a low miles 1.6 with OSS, Bose and Leather for sale I would jump for it but secretly worry about lights coming on!

I can,t really condone exceeding the legal speed limits, however, it is good to hear that the 1.4 has a peppy little engine as its often maligned for being slightly underpowered (when travelling up a steep hill ?) . In major cities its not often you travel above 20mph in traffic queues anyway so a 1.4 petrol makes a lot of sense. :)

Last edited:
A friend let me borrow a Smart Fortwo with a roadster 0.7l engine swapped into it. The slightly larger turbo and the remap took the car from 50bhp to 103bhp. It doesn't sound a lot but it was immensely fun. I then drove a normal car with the standard 0.7l and normal minuscule turbo and it was very nearly as fun. The light weight car itself was so responsive and the lack of weight made the power to weight ratio very favourable.
The Fortwo weighs in at 700kg - you don't need a lot of power to have a fun drive!
I previously owned a Celica GT 200bhp 4wd and it felt much slower and less nimble than my TDI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back