The dreaded brake warning light

Jgbaudia2

Just got my first a2 1.4 petrol se and the brake warning light was on when I bought it and after having a look the socket at the wheel is completely gone. The two wires where wound together but still the light was on the wires themselves are completely black I've tried exposing the wires inside the engine bay with no joy as the cable is solid and I'm afraid of cutting the abs cable too. My question is if I remove the wheel and connect the cables a few inches up will it turn the light off ???

Cheers

Is it the brake pad warning light? Usually sensor located on passenger side. Whoever had car before you has bodged it, bought the wrong pads. ABS signal is different and ABS symbol will illuminate on dash.

Just got my first a2 1.4 petrol se and the brake warning light was on when I bought it and after having a look the socket at the wheel is completely gone. The two wires where wound together but still the light was on the wires themselves are completely black I've tried exposing the wires inside the engine bay with no joy as the cable is solid and I'm afraid of cutting the abs cable too. My question is if I remove the wheel and connect the cables a few inches up will it turn the light off ???

Cheers

You will likely find that the break is further up the loom, if you CAREFULLY cut the side wall of the plastic tubing in the engine bay you will expose the wires, it helps to use a hot air gun on the portion of the loom to soften the plastic tubing a little. I then connected new wires to these tail ends and then to a suitable socket to mate to the brake pads (or you can simply connect the two wires together and manually monitor the pad wear.

Back