Car alarm / hazard lights flashing randomly

G_Dobee

Hi there,

I've been having a issue with my car alarm for a couple of weeks now. It went off about 3 or 4 times at work and it was getting a little embarrassing so I left it unlocked in the security controlled car park. I couldn't leave it unlocked at home but kept looking out of the window to see what it was doing. When when partner went out in it on the evening it went off a couple more times, once when it had only been left 5 minutes.

I arranged for the AA to look at it at work the following day while I was working away at my desk. The patrol guy reported the following:

- Patrol suspects offside rear door module/wiring fault... further checks required Bosch codes showing fault with rear drivers door fault. Patrol has removed alarm fuse as temp repair. Member to take to garage for further investigation.

When I took to a garage close to work it still had the alarm fuse removed and the error codes that came up while it was parked up at the garage were related to an alarm fault.

On Saturday my battery went completely flat and while it was lucky that I didn't really need the car that day I am a commuter so can't have it doing flat when I have work the next day. Mornings can be rough enough already. :p

I'm hoping it's not too expensive as the AA guy that came out to bump start my car said I should go to the dealership. This gives me the fear as my car is a Y reg (2001) 1.4 TDI so I have to weigh up the risk /reward of an expensive repair. When I got fuel this morning I was only in the petrol station under 5 minutes and it was already going off again.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've read a lot of threads related hazard lights and they all seem very different.

This can be a sign that the cccu is failing - basically it's the brain that controls the door locking -electric windows- alarm. It's located under the passengers feet (left front seat on a uk spec car). Have you tried turning off the interior sensor ? It's the button above the fuel flap release. I'm sure someone else will be along soon but hope this helps make mike

the failing cccu is a very likely possibility, but is often associated with electric windows going up and down randomly.
Have you had a proper scan using VAGCOM (not the crappy thing that the AA would have done) as without the fault codes you are in the dark so to speak. You could try disconnecting the alarm (in the rear wing under the fuel flap and a little further towards the back of the car)
If the only issue is the alarm then you could live without it :)

Drop Timmus a PM as he is the a2 electrical guru IMO

Hi,

Also check that the servicer flap is fully closed, there is a sensor in there and it is often the cause of false alarms, but as Mike said, these are also the symptoms of a failing CCCU.

Steve B

CCCU is most likely cause as stated above, but I've just replaced my Varta battery which was 16 years old date stamp On terminal confirmed this.
Tayna batteries offer replacement varta for a very good price.
Hope that helps.
Keith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As has been said already, you need to have the vehicle scanned either by a dealer or by someone who has VCDS.

Dealer charges for this service are usually around the £75 mark, and it is common for them NOT to provide a printout of the findings.

Indepeendant garages who have VCDS usually charge less than the main dealers, and if you have a USB pen drive most are happy to provide the scan results as a text file on the drive for you.

There are also a few of us on this forum who are happy to provide this servce either FOC, or for a small cost, and also happy to provide the file on a pen drive and give you the rational behind the fault codes, and the podssible cause of your troubles.

A generic scanner as used by roadside technicians often produces spurious results, and without detailed knowledge of the A2 product, these results can be misinterpreted.
I think the patrolman who examined your car misinterreted the results of a scan.
See the below as a typical scan of the controller responsible for the alarm and door locks (as well as being responsible for other functions).

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 8Z0-959-433.lbl
Part No: 8Z0 959 433 AF
Component: Komfortgerát TBD 1210
Coding: 06859
Shop #: WSC 02138
VCID: 0A1B5F67362D4B11B7-4B1A

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 8Z2959802A
Component: Tõrsteuer.FS BRM 0003

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 8Z2959801A
Component: Tõrsteuer.BF BRM 0003

6 Faults Found:
01369 - Alarm triggered by Hood Switch
35-00 - -
01371 - Alarm triggered by Door Contact Switch; Driver's Side
35-00 - -
01561 - Rear left door
59-00 - Can't Unlock
01561 - Rear left door
61-00 - Won't De-Safe
01562 - Rear right door
59-10 - Can't Unlock - Intermittent
01562 - Rear right door
61-10 - Won't De-Safe - Intermittent

The list shows several issues.
None are date/time-stamped, so it isn't possible to ascertain if the cause of the alarm trigger in the above is:-

a.) because of an open inspection hatch (or a faulty inspection hatch switch)
or
b.) if the dirvers side door triggered the alarm.

Clearing the fault codes and waiting for the "event" to re-occur, and then re-scanning will pinpoint the likely culprit.

The issues seen above with the door locks are not related to the alarm trigger, but when scanned with some generic scanners they can appear to be electrical faults, that might point to a wiring fault contributing to the alarm triggering.

I am sure there are VCDS owners closer to you, but I am 4 miles off of Watford Gap service station on the M1 in Northamptonshire.
If you want to drop me a PM I'd be happy to arrange a date/time when you could swing by for a scan of your car.

Cheers
Jeff

Sorry for asking a question and going AWOL. I had a lot on and the car settled down for a while bit now but just when I think it's stopped someone will tell me it's flashing again.

Mike, the car definitely does have a few electric 'quirks' especially the driver's window. When you try and close it in one swift movement it will go up and down a few times before it finally closes. I found the button you mention but I think after it fell off a while ago we replaced it without the spring so now it doesn't actually function as a switch and probably needs removing with a screwdriver. :p

Paul, we definitely have the window issue but it's mostly reserved for the driver. :D

I'm not sure if it's had a proper scan but it can't hurt to find out. :)

Steve B, we think it could be related to the service flap as it fell down by itself a couple of times the week before all of this started. Then we had a headlight bulb changed and at Halfords and the next day was the first time we heard the alarm going off. It's possible that the clip that locks the service flap is not springing back like it should.

Keith, thanks I will look into the battery. :)

Jeff, thanks for the info. That makes me think the problem is more likely to be the service hatch than the door after all. Thanks for offering to scan it for us too, if we get a chance to drive down that way we'll definitely PM you as it will be good to finally know. :)

Back