How to re activate passenger air bag

Harryn

Hi All,
Is it possible to re activate passenger air bag using Vagcom as My car does not have a key switch.
Bit of a vagcom virgin so please dont use big words :)
many thanks in advance.

It may be an obvious question but how did it end up deactivated without the switch? Or was re meant to be de?

On a similar topic, may I request some help/ information please?
I do have a passenger airbag switch. There is also a small illuminated panel within the interior light switch panel that lights and briefly displays "Passenger Air Bag Off' when the car is started. The warning goes off several seconds later.
No matter if the switch in the glove box is set to on or off, this warning always comes on. Question is, is the airbag activated or not. I've set the switch to ON but as I still get the warning light I don't know. As we have two A2s, I recently got VCDS but a total newbie to it and trying to find my way around at the moment.
I would be grateful for any information which might help resolve the problem.

Mike

Last edited:
Just played with VCDS and found the passenger airbag adaption settings. Definitely showing passenger airbags active (0).
The switch in the glove box makes no difference to the result. i.e if switched off, VCDS still shows active. light still comes on briefly saying airbag off.
Do I believe VCDS? All I want is a working active passenger airbag.

I do have a passenger airbag switch. There is also a small illuminated panel within the interior light switch panel that lights and briefly displays "Passenger Air Bag Off' when the car is started. The warning goes off several seconds later.

Hi Mike,

This is completely normal.

When you first turn the key in the ignition, the red airbag light within the instrument cluster illuminates briefly and then goes out once all airbags have been detected. The same occurs in the panel above your head; the text lights up and then goes off again a moment later.
The car does this in order to demonstrate that the illumination of those warnings is working properly. If the LED in your instrument cluster or in the panel above your head had stopped working, you'd never know if a fault developed.

If you set the switch in the glovebox to ON, the text above your head should illuminate briefly and then go out. If you set the switch in the glovebox to OFF, the text above your head should illuminate and then stay illuminated.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for your invaluable information. You've put my mind at rest.
I hadn't got as far as switching the glove box switch off and observing the heads up display. I'll try that, but I really only want the bag on and active.

Thanks again

Mike.

Just to confirm, the heads up light does indeed stay on when the airbag switch is set to off. You are absolutely spot on Tom.
Strangely though, VCDS still shows 0 (active) irrespective of the switch position. I guess the module enables the circuit and the choice of on or off is finally made by the switch?
Relieved however to know all is well.

Many thanks

Mike

Just to confirm, the heads up light does indeed stay on when the airbag switch is set to off. You are absolutely spot on Tom.
Strangely though, VCDS still shows 0 (active) irrespective of the switch position. I guess the module enables the circuit and the choice of on or off is finally made by the switch?

Excellent, I'm glad all's sorted. :)

Your suggestion that the module enables the circuit and that the final choice is made by the switch is indeed how it works.

Cheers,

Tom

Back