1.2 TDI Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)

grimchuck

Hello all,

I scanned my 1.2 TDI a few weeks ago with VCDS Ross Tech and got this error code in engine module:
19464 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) P3008 - 00-00 - Signal Out of Range

I just reset everything to see if it was an old thing or if it was something still going on. Today i scanned it again and, no big surprises, the error code reappeared.

So, is there anything i can do to fix this? Timing belt was replaced a year ago, looks like something was not done right...

Thank you all

G

Could the fault code have been there since the timing belt was replaced ?

The camshaft sensor (toothed wheel) must be synchronised with the crank sensor and this relies on correct alignment when replacing the timing belt. If the sensor is not faulty then it's possible it's either been out from day one or something has come loose and allowed the belt to move

Cheers Spike

Remove top plastic cam belt cover. Looking at the cam pulley, the sensor should be roughly in the '4 o.clock position

Cheers Spike

PS RAB beat me to it with a rather more detailed answer

Last edited:
Hello,

I replaced the sensor with this one https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/vemo/2290612 and no more error. No need to remove the cam pulley. Acces is very limited and you cannot really see what you are doing but Overall it was a pretty easy job. The connector side of the sensor is retained by a "c" shaped bracket wich is attached to the engine. You need to wiggle/pull the connector toward the radiator to get it free.

Thanks guys

Hi,

The original post was about a sensor for the 1.2 and the link you have doesn't mention the 1.2 just the 1.4 TDI.

It may well be the same part (and it may be that yours is a 1.2 as well, so forgive me for being over cautious) but it is worth checking.

Steve B

Hi,

Yeah.. every time I'm looking in the "suitable vehicles" section my 1.2 TDI is almost never there. I did the search with the original part number (045957147B) and at the top of the page i have "This product fits your AUDI A2 (8Z0) 1.2 TDI". So at some point i decide to trust this message instead of the "suitable vehiclues" section since the parts are always indentical and fit with no problem.

Hi,

The original post was about a sensor for the 1.2 and the link you have doesn't mention the 1.2 just the 1.4 TDI.

It may well be the same part (and it may be that yours is a 1.2 as well, so forgive me for being over cautious) but it is worth checking.

Steve B

Hi Steve,

The cylinder head of the 1.2 and 1.4Tdi is the same or at least the casting is, so the description for replacement is apt.

RAB

Back