Broken coolant pipe/joint (FSi)

tagscuderia

Hello all, pulled onto the drive this evening and upon stopping noticed smoke/steam pouring out from underneath the bonnet :(
Quickly located the issue, link to full-size image: https://1drv.ms/i/s!As_InXsv42i2hJ9tqJyBQT5gVVbrYw

WP_20170428_18_49_07_Pro (2).jpg

Coolant sprayed everywhere in the engine bay and burning off! Engine temp was ok so hopefully didn't happen too far from home.

Does anybody know the part number? And whether or not it happens to be a VW shared part; my local VW dealer is much better at keeping this type of item in stock.

It was going dark so I couldn't do much but... how easy is it to remove the clips to replace it myself, and can they be reused? I have large hands and get easily frustrated by fiddly work but I'm happy to give it a go given that the car is undriveable.
Cheers,
Tom.

I had that - Audi don't appear to sell the joints separately so you need to buy the whole network of pipes and joints as one. It was about £60 last time I checked. I think that you can bodge it with a 'Y' connector from your local motor factors. In fact, I bodged mine for a week with a bit of brake pipe and superglue but this is not recommended!

The bits go brittle with age and then snap when disturbed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With a good set of pliers you shouldn't have to much trouble with those clips.
The part number is printed on the side of the piece and Etka confirms it as 1J0121087D. Looks to be used on VWs aswell so they may stock it.
Best of Luck.

I did the same one a while back only a couple of quid to replace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, really appreciate the quick replies!
@ S2Dicky, did you buy the same as Simon i.e, Y connector and pipes?
@ putyourmittenson, thanks that's brilliant, I used to use a site to easily grab PNs but it was taken offline a year or so back. I'll ring VW in the morning and hope for the best.

Thanks again,
Tom.

@ Simon, no I err... don't like the sound of that bodge :D , but it worked for you so kudos!

Thanks guys, really appreciate the quick replies!
@ S2Dicky, did you buy the same as Simon i.e, Y connector and pipes?
@ putyourmittenson, thanks that's brilliant, I used to use a site to easily grab PNs but it was taken offline a year or so back. I'll ring VW in the morning and hope for the best.

Thanks again,
Tom.

@ Simon, no I err... don't like the sound of that bodge :D , but it worked for you so kudos!

No I just bought the Y piece came on its own

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks S2Dicky, good to know in order to avoid Audi's sales tactics - to be fair, my local dealer has been really good.
@ Steve, bookmarked, that's great thank you.

Well that's annoying, neither Audi nor VW/Skoda/Seat/TPS carry the part and with the Bank Holiday it'll be Wednesday before I can pick one up :(
Thanks everyone, a big help having the PN that's for sure!

EDIT!!! - No, I did break this one and managed to reattach with what remained of the connector - this has just reminded me that I need to buy a new piece before mine goes again! I also damaged one of the the smaller equal sized y-pieces.

i used a t-piece from eurocarparts, was a couple quid and is still in place now, doesn't put any stress on the hoses or do anything untoward.

Last edited:
Ordered the part from local VW dealer, no upfront payment required. The part currently costs £6.72.
I bought this tool, a much cheaper version of the Draper pliers - I wouldn't have wanted to do the work without it, it's a 10 minute job with the tool and not at all fiddly.
Definitely a DIY job, thanks for everybody's input.

Back