Chat Mini project - 2004 TDi 90

AndyP

United-Kingdom
So I have acquired a late model TDi 90 in Dolphin grey that has previously had a front end bump. It currently has wrong colour bonnet and bumper which I would rather replace with original rather than repaint, but we will see how the costs work out. Overall, I would say that it was well cared for before the accident and it is mostly complete. The spec is good; 17" sport wheels, electric lumber etc, DIS, 5 seat, Audi rubber mats, mud flaps, rear disc brakes, webasto, first aid kit (well the triangle anyway) etc

The plan is to restore it as I have always fancied one of these, but if the numbers don't add up then it will regrettably be broken.

Good luck with the project, Andy. Hopefully anothe A2 can be saved. :)

...webasto...

If it's a TDI90, it won't have a Webasto unless someone's done a fairly serious retrofit.

All the best. Hopefully you can bring it back to full glory without too much expenditure.

Tom

Good luck with the project, Andy. Hopefully anothe A2 can be saved. :)

If it's a TDI90, it won't have a Webasto unless someone's done a fairly serious retrofit.

All the best. Hopefully you can bring it back to full glory without too much expenditure.

Tom

Yes, I did hesitate before I wrote that and I have just realised why - that sticker is on the current bumper which clearly belongs to a different vehicle. I'm happy to live without the additional complication anyway.

If anyone has pictures of the engine compartment I'd be very happy to see them, as this one has been the subject of a little bodging and as it's different from my TDi 75 I need to know what it should look like.

Yes, I did hesitate before I wrote that and I have just realised why - that sticker is on the current bumper which clearly belongs to a different vehicle. I'm happy to live without the additional complication anyway.

Ah yes, that'd explain it. You'll have the Webasto sticker on the front panel as it'll have been lifted from another car.

If anyone has pictures of the engine compartment I'd be very happy to see them, as this one has been the subject of a little bodging and as it's different from my TDi 75 I need to know what it should look like.

Can you post a good photo of your engine bay here? We can then see what's right and what's wrong (as much as a photo will allow). There are differences in appearance between the 75 and 90 engine bays.

Cheers,

Tom

Have also just discovered, according to the paint code that it is Akoya Silver, LY7H not Dolphin Grey. Never mind ...

Last edited:
It's a bit messy, a few wires hanging around that I'm not familiar with yet.

2017-04-30 12.26.43-2.jpg

Oh yes, that is a bit messy. As we look at the photo, the right-hand side is mostly OK, but the left-hand side is a dog's dinner. There's a black box just above the wheel arch behind the driver-side headlight with VW AG written on it. This is a control box for the turbo and EGR valve. It's not mounted correctly at all and all the associated wiring and pneumatic tubing is a mess, with some draped over the cambelt cover. :(

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of a TDI90 engine bay, but hopefully someone else can post one of this specific area.

Cheers,

Tom

Oh yes, that is a bit messy. As we look at the photo, the right-hand side is mostly OK, but the left-hand side is a dog's dinner. There's a black box just above the wheel arch behind the driver-side headlight with VW AG written on it. This is a control box for the turbo and EGR valve. It's not mounted correctly at all and all the associated wiring and pneumatic tubing is a mess, with some draped over the cambelt cover. :(

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of a TDI90 engine bay, but hopefully someone else can post one of this specific area.

Cheers,

Tom

Yes, the control box mounting points are there but the nuts are seized, that will get fixed and mounted properly.
I have boost sensor/control issue, so that may be something to do with it.

Hi fellow chelmsfordian--ill keep an eye out. If you fancy having a natter I'm sure we could meet up. Cheers mike and vonnie

Well the level of bodgery of the previous owner (or pseudo mechanic) is starting to become apparent.

The fan is the wrong size for the aperture in the radiator shroud. So I assume the TDi 90 had a bigger fan than the earlier front end which has been used here. So now I have to decide on either a fan or fan shroud change.

The washer bottle water level sensor was hanging in mid-air, as the bottle in use, presumably that came with the replacement front end has no hole for it. My eBay searching indicates that the larger bottles had this type of sensor, therefore I assume this car used to have headlamp washers. Another choice, either drill a 23.5mm hole for the sensor or get a different water bottle.

The canister that has something to do with the a/c is also hanging in mid-air, with no obvious mounting point for it's bracket. May have to fabricate something for that.

I managed to twist beyond repair the pipe on the a/c radiator trying to undo the union that was done up FT. Something else to buy ...

The third connector (far right) of the three on the power steering reservoir has a plug and no wires - not sure what this would have been for yet. Possibly something to do with the headlamp washers - do they pop-up electrically?

The bracket the locates the lower intercooler pipe to the sump is busted off.

The vacuum control solenoid is in fact the "B" version, therefore just replacing that with the correct part and ensuring the pipes are routed correctly should resolve the ECU warning light.

The front bumper is a bit tattier than it first appeared and has also obviously had a bit of a bump. Nothing drastic, but it would be nice to replace it with one that had headlamp washers although I understand they are rare.

Anyway, apart from that it's in pretty good order and I think has mostly been well looked after. Given the amount of mud and straw I've had to remove the from wheel arches I reckon it must have been used for ploughing fields though, still the inside has cleaned up nicely.

The headlamp washers pop up just with the water pressure, there are no electrics involved (apart from the pump of course)

Cars with DIS have the washer level sensor as well, so it might not have had headlamp washers, just DIS?

Keep the larger fan option if you can.
Steve B

Not good.
Best o luck with it all.
I have a spare bracket for the a/c reservoir which I can let you have.
And the 3rd connection on the power steering is supposed to be blank I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The headlamp washers pop up just with the water pressure, there are no electrics involved (apart from the pump of course)

Cars with DIS have the washer level sensor as well, so it might not have had headlamp washers, just DIS?

Keep the larger fan option if you can.
Steve B

Ahh, I see, well it has DIS, so maybe I just drill the hole for the sensor then. The pump does seem to be quite high throughput though, but I assume the original pump is still on the original bottle. Thanks.

Not good.
Best o luck with it all.
I have a spare bracket for the a/c reservoir which I can let you have.
And the 3rd connection on the power steering is supposed to be blank I believe.

Would very much appreciate the bracket, just let me know appropriate details for the postage cost. Thanks

Not massive progress this weekend but I now have the correct size fan shroud, so that is all back together. The replacement bonnet location socket things have been installed, as has the intercooler pipe support bracket. The washer bottle has been drilled to accept the water level sensor, which has also been installed. So the only thing holding me up at the moment, apart from time, is the replacement a/c radiator (and possibly the bracket to mount the a/c reservoir). EBay time again ...

Very slow progress recently, but the replacement a/c radiator is in, the horn is now mounted correctly, replacing the vacuum control unit has fixed the running issues, all the front is back on, the bumper is in place and the just the wheel arch liners are outstanding. And I think I have identified a reasonably priced windscreen replacement. So once that is done it'll be MOT and paint time ... eventually ...

I have that a/c bracket somewhere for you. Don't let me forget.
Progress looks good though, do you mind if I ask about where you have found a good windscreen price, I'm in need of getting mine done soon.

I have that a/c bracket somewhere for you. Don't let me forget.
Progress looks good though, do you mind if I ask about where you have found a good windscreen price, I'm in need of getting mine done soon.

Don't worry about the bracket, I got one from Steve in Wales, thanks for the offer though.

The potential windscreen supplier is http://www.roadrunnerwindscreenrepairs.co.uk/ , not too far from me and they will deliver/fit at my place. Their communication is appalling but I'm hopeful it will work out. Probably too far away for you though.

Back