Whirring noise from rear of TDi 90

mrbroons

Got an interesting problem whereby I get a whirring/squeak from the rear of the car when driving. Sounds like it is inside but may not be. It rises and falls with the revs and disappears when on a trailing throttle. I thought it may be the fuel pump as it appears to be from the rear seat area until I found out the TDIs don't have a fuel pump in the tank. Any thoughts would be welcome

Does it go away if you turn the radio off ? If so it's interference from the alternator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi i had a similar sound to what you describe---it ended up being a slightly loose heat shield to the rear of the car. Although I'm talking TDI 75, but worth a look. Cheers mike

Hi James,

I've known a failing Blaupunkt amplifier to cause the rear speakers to emit alternator noise irrespective of whether the head unit is switched on or off. If you lift the driver's carpet, remove the triangular ally panel to access the secret compartment beneath and then unplug the rear amp, does the noise disappear?

Cheers,

Tom

Great suggestion Tom, just found that yesterday on the Imola car when cleaning it so know exactly where you mean. Will try that

Back