Audi Worthing - Broken Sky

tagscuderia

Hello all, my OSS became Broken Sky with no warning a couple of weeks back :( . When buying an A2 I had 2 requirements that I wouldn't budge on... FSi and OSS. So I'm adamant to get it repaired!
Whilst I'm aware that I'm out of the 10 year window for Audi to repair it FOC, I want to contact Audi Worthing (the only UK dealer to carry out the work?) and cross fingers and toes that I might be able to negotiate something; given that Audi have admitted that there's a design issue.
So I was wondering how people contacted Worthing regards getting their OSS swapped for V2.
Many thanks,
Tom.

Given the results of my efforts to have a hinge crack sorted via a dealer, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Hi Tom, in past experience you'll probably need to pay them the hours diagnosis / labour fee for them to check and confirm the issue. (circa £80-120 depending on dealer)

Once you have done this they will then discuss with Audi warranty with regards to 'goodwill' gesture but I highly doubt it will happen, especially due to it being outside of the 10yr body/paint warranty. It could be worth a try though, but as said it will cost you at least the inital diagnosis fee. What would'nt be so bad is if they would even suggest to pay half of such repair costs....

Have you tried a new motor? They can be had for a small-ish outlay, maybe worth trying A2 Steve or somebody with a known good part.

Last edited:
What would'nt be so bad is if they would even suggest to pay half of such repair costs...
That's all I'm hoping for, don't expect them to honour the goodwill gesture of old. I'm thinking that Worthing are the best bet hence wondering how to approach them.
It's not the motor unfortunately, the driver's side cable has snapped I believe.
Thanks.

If you can get Audi to cough up towards the price of a new roof, some friendly forum members can do the swap. Just another option. :)

If you can get Audi to cough up towards the price of a new roof, some friendly forum members can do the swap. Just another option. :)
As in do the work? I'd want a new roof given the cost and for some reason... I feel that Audi will want to do the work themselves even if they agreed to wave labour costs (that reads like a madman's dreams!).
Perhaps I just need to pick up the phone and beg... and then beg some more :D

With this sort of thing if you don't have full Audi service history 9 times out of 10 you won't have a chance . With the rs4 they did a goodwill gesture on a lot that had the suspension (drc ) fail for a year or two after five years but they soon told you to piss off . Same with the other recalls . I had an sue with zinc inclusions on my first rs4 and they told me to piss off then lol

With the rs4 they did a goodwill gesture on a lot that had the suspension (drc ) fail for a year or two after five years but they soon told you to piss off.
Numbers play a huge part in recalls and I'm guessing that it's small for OSS. So trying for 50/50 split costs... it's worth a go but I'm not counting on it - I have an option on a new roof but it's pricey so I'll wait until I change insurance to an agreed valuation; can't spend >£1k for it to be written off by a minor bump!
Cheers.

or find an A2 in a the breakers yard with working OSS and change the roof section over
Akeel did this recently for £70 if memory serves and about 5 hours work total, sound a lot better than £1000 plus

Or find an A2 in a the breakers yard with working OSS and change the roof section over
Akeel did this recently for £70 if memory serves and about 5 hours work total, sound a lot better than £1000 plus
It sounds great... until that one breaks. It's a good false economy i.e, you could repeat it 20 times over but ultimately, given that I don't see myself selling the car, potentially not worth the effort.
But >£1k isn't easy to swallow hence contacting Worthing and attempting to negotiate. We'll see what happens. Cheers.

Excuse my innocence but isn't it likely to be a small sub-system that has broken, i.e. a cable or something in the motor or gearbox and hence not require a complete new roof. I think Wilco did a complete remove / repair / replace on his OSS, so it is diy possible.

Simon.

Last edited:
Excuse my innocence but isn't it likely to be a small sub-system that has broken, i.e. a cable or something in the motor or gearbox and hence not require a complete new roof. I think Wilco did a complete remove / repair / replace on his OSS, so it is diy possible.Simon.
Excuse my ignorance then :eek:
Very possibly, I have no idea how the assembly fits together, but it would appear that I would have to remove the roof simply to inspect and I don't have the tools nor facilities to do that. Replacing motors, gears and cables for new would be great though!
I will PM Wilco and ask for some advice, thanks.

Hi all,

I have indeed removed the roof from my own A2 and attempted a repair, by replacing the cables and front slides. :)

The old cables are removed by first removing the roof from the car, then unbolting the remaining bolts to the fourth (rear most) panel and cutting through the very hard glue that secures it to the roof frame. With the fourth panel removed, the slides can be slid out backwards and the new ones inserted. The fourth panel must then be reattached and new adhesive applied. The roof can then be fully reassembled and put back in the car.

I would not recommend repairing the roof by this method, though. It is very labour intensive and takes a good many hours, the cables are expensive and the likeliness of something going wrong is high. In my case, the motor carrier was also at fault and so this needs to be replaced/redesigned, though it is not available as a separate part from Audi.

Tom, if I were in your shoes, then I would personally be looking for a working replacement roof. :)

Regards,

Matt.

and my understand of the OSS is that if it is working and kept lubricated and used frequently then it is OK and will continue to work perfectly well. it is lack of use / lack of maintenance that causes the OSS to have problems.
I own a Ford Focus CC (folding tin top) and was advised to lub it yearly and open and close the roof at least once a fortnight even in the winter. I have done this for the last 5 years and the roof works perfectly every time - as the saying goes 'use it or loose it'

cheers,

and my understand of the OSS is that if it is working and kept lubricated and used frequently then it is OK and will continue to work perfectly well. it is lack of use / lack of maintenance that causes the OSS to have problems.
I can't comment on the previous owners but in the 5 years that I've had the car, I've used the OSS almost every journey, even in the winter - just as long as it's not raining :) . I've had it serviced and I routinely cleaned and lubricated the seals but... it's old and by no means a perfect design.
That's why I see a replacement as a short-term solution, a lot of effort to go through when you don't know the history of the roof! Mine had always opened and closed smoothly and gave no indication of breaking, it just failed out of the blue :( .

//

Thanks Matt, appreciate your response. Very impressive that you carried out that work, sounds complex!
Indeed thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, but I feel that a new roof is the way forward.
Cheers,
Tom.

Back