Upgrade Non Bose Speakers

sam.s

I was looking around for alternative speaker options without going to the cost and hassle of retrofitting a BOSE setup.

Simple I thought just fit some better quality upgrade speakers, on checking around I found some 165mm MAC audio speakers which were apparently a direct bolt in replacement. This along with some wiring adapters to convert the standard OEM plugs to the new speaker connections should mean an easy plug and play upgrade, simple.

Yes I know the more experienced of you will be shaking your head but I had checked with the audio suppliers and they assured me this would fit and was used by them in A2’s they had fitted.

On receiving the speakers and removing my OEM speaker to compare it was clear there was zero chance of the new mounts (for an A3) fitting, they were wrong in every single dimension. But the speaker was almost the right size so despite the company offering to return my money I decided to see what I could do to mount them.

I started by disembowelling the OEM speaker
IMG_0265.jpg
The fixed supporting brackets need to be cut out before the magnet can be removed.
IMG_0266.jpg

The wiring adapters to convert the standard OEM plugs to the new speaker connections did not fit an A2 either (by now I was not surprised) so I cut them off and removed the old wires and soldered the new ones on. The idea being I could use the OEM wiring and plug with no changes.

I also cut the A3 mounts horizontally and pop riveted them to the A2 mount to provide a larger mounting ring for the new standard size speakers (165mm)
IMG0278.jpg
It was then a simple job to screw the new speaker to the front of my Frankenstein speaker mount.
IMG_0280.JPG
Its a tight fit but does not foul the front door stop and uses the original mounts and wiring and plugs meaning no cutting or changes to the door, wiring or trim.
To my ears these sound much better than the originals offering more base and much less distortion at volume, so much so I have bought a couple more and have done the same again but this time for the rears…
IMG_0284.jpg

very cool...

so, I'm not sure I understand exactly but you removed the cone and other inner parts of stock speaker from it's housing and placed the new speaker inside the housing and then put it back in the door?

Am I understanding you correctly?

is the tweeter wired to a crossover in the door?

Yes correct I removed all the internals from the stock speaker and modified the A3 housing to fit onto the stock A2 housing giving me a new modified housing which would fit standard 165mm speakers and bolt to the internal door and fit with the standard grills etc.

As I did not know any of this was possible I had not used expensive components, the speakers I used did not have separate tweeter wiring. So I soldered new flyleads to the modified housing and used the standard A2 speaker wiring and plug. Maybe now with hindsight I would do it differently...

The mounting ring is now a standard 165mm so lots of speaker options now exist but you need to be careful of the magnet size as the standard A2 housing narrows to allow space for the door check strap.

Back