Happy Birthday A2!

Heather

On 7th May 2003 I took delivery of my brand new A2. Today is her 14th Birthday :)

Back in November I posted a thread 'today has been a bad day' when I was in the middle of a three car accident. My insurance company informed me that they were declaring my car 'a total loss' and would send me a cheque and my car would be collected and disposed of!!
I was in a state of utter disbelief. Over my dead body was this ever going to happen and I told them so.

The first place I took her to (where I have had insurance covered repairs done before) prepared an invoice for £4000 for visible damage without getting her up on the ramp to check underneath. They informed me that I may be looking at around £7000 in total.

We then went to another garage in Derby where they have been taking care of all servicing and repairs since I started driving aged 17!
They suggested looking for and buying a donor vehicle and using the parts to repair mine. Once again, very expensive.

After telling my tales of woe on the forum Rob (chumsofmanunited) kindly got in touch to ask if there was anything he could do to help. By this point I didn't think I was going to be able to afford to drive my car again, so was feeling fairly down.
After a steady drive up to WOM in fourth gear with a dodgy bonnet, usually a swift 35 minute drive with all gears working! Rob took a look and said he had been expecting it to be a lot worse.
On November 12th I left my A2 with Rob and Marcus and was feeling hopeful for the first time in two weeks.

So, the repairs were - using a mixture of new and used parts

replacement bonnet, rear crash bar,N/S headlight,front panel (lock carrier), front number plate, intercooler,front upper crash bar,condensor, four wheel laser alignment, preparation and paint for rear and front bumper & rear wheel arch, aircon re-gas, fibre glass repair to rear battery well, oil filler tube,dipstick, rivets and bolts.
With labour my bill was £2305.
On December 22nd I was informed that my A2 was looking very well indeed and she was ready by Dec 23rd. Just the best Christmas present ever!

As we were away until after New Year I couldn't go and pick her up straight away, but was just so happy to see her looking good as new in January. Even my clunky open sky no longer clunks! and a previous scrape on the wheel arch re -done, steam cleaned and polished.

Rob and Marcus thank you so very much for your time and hard work and the very kind loan of your other A2's to keep me on the road in the meantime (one in particular I didn't really want to give back).
Two nicer guys you couldn't wish to meet.

... and thank you to Tom, who introduced me to WOM Automotive when he did some work on my car up there a while ago. Without you all I dare say I wouldn't have my A2 here for her 14th Birthday.

Here's to the next 14

Back