Auto or semi auto transmission

inashed

New here so hope I am posting in the right section of the forum.

I've been Googling and searching for any information on auto conversions to the A2's gearbox but not found much at all. I did find some info about limitations of the ECU but nothing beyond that. I'm a prospective A2 purchaser but one member of the family is a stickler for autos. I know the obvious thing to do is to persuade them to switch to manual but I think this is going to cause me a big headache.

What would be the prospects for taking a petrol A2 (most likely a 1.4) and swapping the transmission for an auto unit from a Polo or similar VAG vehicle?

Id suggest having a search on the TDI forums as quite common for the Auto to 6speed conversion you may even find someone whos done the conversion to 6speed and has all the auto box parts, your only other option is the 1.2 TDI but these demand a higher price due to there rarity and also being left hand drive, youl need to be checking into the diff housings on the auto boxes as some of the gearboxs have a larger diff and it just wont fit into the A2 due to its subframe and available space ..

Back