Auto headlight conversion with coming home/ leaving home lights

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

In the past I fitted an auto headlight conversion to the project and was very pleased with it.

They have now much improved this.

The old one used to come with a bulky control box that you had to hide behind the under dash panel.

The new one is now completely self contained in the replacement headlamp switch, it really is "plug and play" you just need to feed the light sensor wire through to the top of the screen (easy to do).

They are around £40 each but I have negotiated a small discount and much faster delivery if I order 10 or more.

The other improvement is that the "Lights on" warning buzzer doesn't sound on this kit (which was an annoying side effect of the old unit)

I can post full instructions on how to fit it (very much a DIY job that takes about 15 minutes and needs no tools!!!

If you would be interested in one please express your interest here (I will not be taking any money until they have arrived and are despatched to you.

The only issue is that I will have to add P|&P from me to you (if you are unable to collect in person or at a social) that means that they will still work out at just under £40 each delivered and £36 each collected. But as I say the delivery will be quicker.

I am also asking them about window switches etc. (they have things that are common to the Golf that are compatible with our A2s.

Their prices for window switches are tiny, I think they also do standard headlamp switches also at tiny prices. I haven't received a quote from them on these yet, but I bought a brand new headlamp switch (with full fog light settings) a few months back, for TWELVE POUNDS!!

So it is well worth looking into.

Yes these are from China but I have yet to have an issue with anything I have bought from them.

This is the complete Auto headlamp unit, nothing else is required.
But note that the sequence of icons around the A2 switch surround do not allow for the Auto setting but I just leave the switch in the 12 o clock position (Sidelight position) and it is then in Auto mode and does not need to be touched ever.
You have the other option of grafting in the new Icon ring and I think that Mike (A2Sumo) has managed to do this reasonably neatly, but I just use the original icons ( I like "easy")

Steve B

Auto Headlight.jpg

This is it in position (Excuse the worn fascia) But I am happy where it is without cutting anything. The icon for sidelights is now the Auto headlamp position !! Simple and OEM looking.

IMG_0071 (003).jpg

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

I had considered these after your last post.

One question though, do they select the correct light according to ambient? Do they have nothing when it's bright, side light for dim and headlights for dark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Steve,

I had considered these after your last post.

One question though, do they select the correct light according to ambient? Do they have nothing when it's bright, side light for dim and headlights for dark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't checked with this one, but I am pretty sure the older design did sometimes just put the sidelights on but it wouldn't bother me if the headlights came on in dim light.

Steve B

May I ask how the switch work? In daylight, parkinglight in front only while all blacked out in the rear? Front and rear lights incl. lights for numberplate automatically switch on at dark? How is the time delay for on and off if driving through a tunnel? Does the lights switch fit directly into the dash (your picture show a circular switch, while A2 has a rectangular one)?

I do not have fog lights in the front. Do you bother to ship to Norway (can pay in advance)?

May I ask how the switch work? In daylight, parkinglight in front only while all blacked out in the rear? Front and rear lights incl. lights for numberplate automatically switch on at dark? How is the time delay for on and off if driving through a tunnel? Does the lights switch fit directly into the dash (your picture show a circular switch, while A2 has a rectangular one)?

I do not have fog lights in the front. Do you bother to ship to Norway (can pay in advance)?

The A2s have a circular switch that fits into the rectangular fascia, it is a direct and exact fit into the same fixings as the original headlamp switch.

When dark the headlamps and all other lights (sidelights and rear lights and number-plate lamps) illuminate
Going through a tunnel and the same lights come on.

Get out of the car at night and the headlamps illuminate for a set period to guide you to your door for an adjustable delay period.
Lock or unlock the car and the headlamps come on for the same period.
I believe that you can alter the settings to use the fog lights instead of the headlights for this function, but not everyone has front fog lights.

you can adjust the point at which the auto headlights come on but I have never had to do that.
In daylight no lights are on, front or back. If you need that to happen in Norway does your A2 do it already? If it does it MIGHT still do it, if not then you are not losing any function.

If you are wanting to get hold of one in Norway I would suggest buying one direct to save on the extra shipping costs, but I could send you one at cost including postage costs if you prefer.

I hope this helps clarify it for you.

Steve B

Thanks for your thorough explanation.

Are you sure that the parking lights in front are not on in daytime? That is EU regulation that also cover Norway these days.

When the car was new, the national regulation in Norway was that all lights must be on regardless day or night, front and rear.

Any link to these so maybe I can check/order myself if that is ok for you?

Thanks for your thorough explanation.

Are you sure that the parking lights in front are not on in daytime? That is EU regulation that also cover Norway these days.

When the car was new, the national regulation in Norway was that all lights must be on regardless day or night, front and rear.

Any link to these so maybe I can check/order myself if that is ok for you?

Hi,

Thanks, by asking for the link I have just found it again and they have reduced the price!!! So that is great, they are currently around £28 (the price seems to change quite often).

When I spoke to them (on eBay messaging) today, they offered the 10% discount, but I was not aware that they had reduced the price too That is a great result. It means I might get them for around £25 and that is a bargain.

I will see what price they quote when I ask about placing the order.

Cheers

The link is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152371407926?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

They are quoting delivery from 2nd June to 6th July. That is why I want to place a bulk order, waiting until July just doesn't work for me!!
I am very impatient, I don't like waiting more than a few days for something I want.

But they have promised a quicker delivery method for any bulk orders.

Steve B

Last edited:
I'm in for one of these. Great feature to easily modernise the A2s functionality. Thanks Steve .

Looks like I should order 20,!!!

I have asked for a final price for 10 and asked about a price for 20 too.

I will let you know their exact quote when I get it, I want this to be all "above board" as usual.

Steve B

I will let everyone know the final price and expected delivery date as soon as I get it.

There seems to be enough interest in these.

Everyone who has expressed an interest will be offered the option to buy when we have the details.

Steve B

Hi

looks like quite a few interested.

I do hope they work out at a really good price when they give me the quote. But even at the high £30s they are still a bargain (check out the price of a new standard headlamp switch by itself. )

But it would be great to get these at £25 each.

I will need to sort out an installation instruction sheet.
Plus how to set these up, the one that comes with it is not really up to the job.

Steve B

Back