My new A2's stereo...

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
IMG_5319.JPGIMG_5323.JPG

I finally bought an A2!

It has the double din head unit so I'm hoping that makes putting in an Apple CarPlay type stereo easier?

The problem is the stereo actually sounds ok... it has a button for cd changer but there doesn't seem to be one installed... on my 2003 A2 the cd changer was in the boot on the side and it was large...

I noticed under the boot where battery is there looks like a stereo cage thingy slot that is empty... is that where a small cd changer was?

I do have 4 speakers in the rear passenger doors...

And I'm guessing I've got a sub woofer by the deep bass I am getting... if I get a new head unit will I be able to feed this sub woofer/amp with my pre out?

Also, will a simple aux in or Bluetooth/aux in adapter be able to plug into the cd changer port of my symphony stereo?

I would suggest that you switch to a Symphony 2 instead.

they have a 6 CD changer built into the unit already.

You can even get them "as new" (if not new) from Audi traditions web site (in Germany) for 40 euros plus around 30 euros shipping.

I have one here that I don't actually need, I just bought it a week or so ago for a car that didn't materialise (why am I thinking "Doctor Who" when I say that?)

You can have that for £50 including postage (which just covers what I paid for it) if you are interested.

Since your car is a 2003 it should be able to handle the Symphony 2 (although someone with more "electrickery" knowledge would need to confirm that)

Steve B

EDIT !!!!!

The symphony 1 is normally on earlier cars (2001 ish) so I am thinking you might have bought an earlier A2 (your signature states 2003) So you would definitely need someone to tell you if the symphony 2 is still feasible (with a bit of electrickery)

I think it can be done, but I am no expert in radios!

Steve B

Last edited:
The 1 and the 2 are different colours also. Piano black to soul black on the later models.

Yes, that is to match the "hard touch" buttons on the early cars and the "soft touch" buttons on the later cars.

Good point.

Steve B

yes, I should clarify 2003 was my old previous A2 and my new current A2 is a 2001

I don't use CDs in fact my previous car had a Pioneer Apple CarPlay screen with no cd drive at all... everything gets played of of phones, ipads, ipods etc via bluetooth, usb, aux-in and HDMI so we have been weened off the devil's discs...

so as this new Symphony stereo is growing on me I am debating just getting a simple aux-in or bluetooth adapter of the sort that plugs into the back of the Symphony stereo in it's external cd changer port.

are there particular brands etc of the aux-in or bluetooth adapters that anyone can recommend? is it as simple as pulling out the Symphony unit and pluging this bluetooth adapter in the to cd changer port and then squishing it all back into the car?

if anyone has any other info on if or what type of sub might be in the car? I feel like there is a sub woofer... but i could be wrong...

if I did go the route of getting another Pioneer CarPlay head unit would I be able to use the existing subwoofer?

thanks!

If you have a BOSE in the car the word BOSE should appear on the radio when you turn it on and you should have BOSE badges on your four speaker grills.

You would also find a large plastic enclosure almost filling the battery compartment.

If not then you don't have a Sub in the car.

Steve B

If you have a BOSE in the car the word BOSE should appear on the radio when you turn it on and you should have BOSE badges on your four speaker grills.

You would also find a large plastic enclosure almost filling the battery compartment.

If not then you don't have a Sub in the car.

Steve B

wow, ok so I've not got a sub which is kinda blowing my mind now... because the sound is pretty good compared to other systems i've lilistened to in non-sub-ified cars...

I'm going to have to pull out some of my reference discs and have a listening session or two...

wow, ok so I've not got a sub which is kinda blowing my mind now... because the sound is pretty good compared to other systems i've lilistened to in non-sub-ified cars...

I'm going to have to pull out some of my reference discs and have a listening session or two...

I am always VERY impressed with the quality of the sound from the Audi units (not so impressed with the radio reception) they really are very good.

Steve B

Back