What mpg are you getting regularly?

Jeffers66

A2OC Donor
On a recent 2 hour road road trip I was very pleased with my A2's mpg performance, average speeds between 60-75 and I'm sure having cruise helps by keeping the revs to a nice level, what are you all getting out of curiosity, I always use the best diesel/extra I can find btw.
Cheers Jeff

Attachments

• 8F3C417A-77C6-45AF-A304-12361581FDCF.JPG
    8F3C417A-77C6-45AF-A304-12361581FDCF.JPG
    787.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_6010.jpg
    IMG_6010.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 245
Never believe what the computer tells you, but on my daily thrash to work, over the past nearly 100,000 miles, which is a 70 round trip, I have got (a real) fractionally under 60 mpg.

Never believe what the computer tells you, but on my daily thrash to work, over the past nearly 100,000 miles, which is a 70 round trip, I have got (a real) fractionally under 60 mpg.
I appreciate the dis may not be spot on but,Surely the computer can't be that far out?

I appreciate the dis may not be spot on but,Surely the computer can't be that far out?

All I'm saying is calculate the actual fuel consumption, accurately, and them compare it with the DIS. My BMW used to produce wildly optimistic consumption figures, you could make it display 50+mpg (it was a 330D), but that was never reflected in the actual mpg (38-40) when you filled it up.

I Recently went to collect a tdi Sport that was having sensoir problems and occasionally would cut out and the temperature of the engine was running at 60 (it was not the temp sensor because if I switched the climate off the temperature did start to rise. (a broken Thermostat and some Camshaft / crankshaft sensor problems were resolved).

But it meant me driving the car at a lower speed than normal, just in case.
It was basically all motorway driving at just over 60 MPH.
It averaged (according to the DIS) EIGHTY MPG on the 64 mile trip.

The same journey back, but this time at 75 on the speedo (i.e. around 70 true MPH) and it averaged just over 60MPG on the same roads and distance.

Even bearing in mind that the DIS is not completely accurate (but it is more than close enough) that is pretty much spot on.

I am impressed with 60 MPG at 75 and really impressed with 80MPG at 60ish.

Take off a small percentage for the DIS variances and some very modern cars would find it difficult to match those figures and with such a torquey little engine too.

Steve B

Last edited:
I've been watching my MPG on the dash since buying BB, and found originally that the DIS was WAYYYY out. I managed to get 83mpg on one trip according to the DIS - having calculated most of my fills (see my sig) this translated to about 66MPG in reality. Having researched the DIS via VAGCOM, you can adjust the displayed figures, but unfortunately there is only +15% variance available, and mine was approx. 25% out :eek: - So I've done it as close as I can, and on my 180 mile journey tonight the DIS was reading 77.7 MPG.

Sounds good to me anyway :)

I don't have DIS but I always reset my trip odometer after filling up and note the mileage since last filled up and input it into Fuelly.com with relevant info such as price per litre etc. My best was 68.2 mpg which included a small amount of town work with a daily 30 mile motorway drive. More than happy with that but now its just a 3.5 mile each way drive to work with one trip at weekends of 60 mile. This gives me 58.8 mpg as you can see below. My drop in daily mileage bothers me having a diesel now I have changed my job location but I love my A2 and no other car has inspired me to change it. Might have to if diesel continues to be seen as the Devils fuel:confused:

Last edited:
I Recently went to collect a tdi Sport that was having sensoir problems and occasionally would cut out and the temperature of the engine was running at 60 (it was not the temp sensor because if I switched the climate off the temperature did start to rise. (a broken Thermostat and some Camshaft / crankshaft sensor problems were resolved).

But it meant me driving the car at a lower speed than normal, just in case.
It was basically all motorway driving at just over 60 MPH.
It averaged (according to the DIS) EIGHTY MPG on the 64 mile trip.

The same journey back, but this time at 75 on the speedo (i.e. around 70 true MPH) and it averaged just over 60MPG on the same roads and distance.

Even bearing in mind that the DIS is not completely accurate (but it is more than close enough) that is pretty much spot on.

I am impressed with 60 MPG at 75 and really impressed with 80MPG at 60ish.

Take off a small percentage for the DIS variances and some very modern cars would find it difficult to match those figures and with such a torquey little engine too.

Steve B

And that is exactly my point. 60mpg I believe. 80mpg I don't. I never trust those figures unless I prove it myself and I have about 250K of data for various cars.

I don't have DIS but I always reset my trip odometer after filling up and note the mileage since last filled up and input it into Fuelly.com with relevant info such as price per litre etc. My best was 68.2 mpg which included a small amount of town work with a daily 30 mile motorway drive. More than happy with that but now its just a 3.5 mile each way drive to work with one trip at weekends of 60 mile. This gives me 58.8 mpg as you can see below. My drop in daily mileage bothers me having a diesel now I have changed my job location but I love my A2 and no other car has inspired me to change it. Might have to if diesel continues to be seen as the Devils fuel:confused:

My wife had a similar issue when she "owned" Baby Boomer, as she was only doing 1.5 miles each way a day to work, so we bought a 1.4 Petrol A2 instead (Po!)... simples!

My wife had a similar issue when she "owned" Baby Boomer, as she was only doing 1.5 miles each way a day to work, so we bought a 1.4 Petrol A2 instead (Po!)... simples!

Yes I did consider a petrol A2 but I read so many problems on here with them compared to the tdi. Been looking at alternatives elsewhere and a Renault captur petrol is a obvious choice or wait for it.........a Fiat panda:p:rolleyes:

Yes I did consider a petrol A2 but I read so many problems on here with them compared to the tdi. Been looking at alternatives elsewhere and a Renault captur petrol is a obvious choice or wait for it.........a Fiat panda:p:rolleyes:

The 1.4 petrol seems a good compromise, it doesn't seem to suffer so much as the 1.6, and is still as nippy around town. Where it falls down is on long journeys.

Wifey had a Panda about 5 years back, with... Teddy Ronals ;) It was "okay", but nowhere near as special as an A2.

About 40 mpg in my FSI. It's certainly capable of more, but I don't drive very economically (why bother with an FSI if you aren't going to put pedal to the metal every so often!).

Our TDI gets 52mpg but that's all short stop start journeys or very tight country lanes for 15mins where rarely out of 4th. As a comparison when our Lexus Hybrid is used for same journeys it gets 42mpg compared to 52 for more normal use, so still quite happy with the A2.

Back