New rear tires, Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Louis

A2OC Donor
Netherlands
My A2 was still running on her first rear tires, DOT date was 2004. They were coming to an end, so before the holiday starts, I wanted to have new ones.
The tires lasted 74500 km :) . I bought the car with 35000 km in June 2014, so I added some 13.000 km/yr.
Choose for Michelin Pilot Sport 3, they perform well and don't make much noise. So the A2 has now 4 same tires.

Attachments

• 2017-05-15 17.26.56.jpg
    2017-05-15 17.26.56.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 307
My A2 was still running on her first rear tires, DOT date was 2004. They were coming to an end, so before the holiday starts, I wanted to have new ones.
The tires lasted 74500 km :) . I bought the car with 35000 km in June 2014, so I added some 13.000 km/yr.
Choose for Michelin Pilot Sport 3, they perform well and don't make much noise. So the A2 has now 4 same tires.
I think you're wrong reading your dot tag. As Michelin Pilot Sport 3 was released on July 2010.
Tires don't last 70K +

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think you're wrong reading your dot tag. As Michelin Pilot Sport 3 was released on July 2010.
Tires don't last 70K +

@speedfrc I think you are reading @Louis' post incorrectly.

In the UK tyre safety advice from RoSPA -> tyresafe.org -> btmauk.com
http://www.btmauk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Replacing-car-tyres-important-information.pdf

If fitting two tyres, it is recommended they be fitted to the rear of the car and ‘match’ with others as possible/feasible. The reason for this is to ensure as stable a handling position as possible particularly on wet roads. If one tyre is rendered unusable e.g. irreparable damage, and it is not possible / feasible to replace the pair, we recommend that a tyre with the same service description and a similar tread pattern as the original tyre be fitted.
As a secondary benefit for the owners of low annual mileage front wheel drive cars, the switching of the partly worn rear tyres to the front, enabling the new tyres to be fitted to the rear, creates a cycle which helps prevent their deterioration due to ageing/prolonged exposure. The rear tyres wear relatively slowly and leaving them in their original positions for a prolonged period can result in the need to replace them before they are significantly worn.

I also read somewhere recently another, complimentary road safety argument: putting new tyres on the front with worn tyres on the rear could lead to oversteer; new tyres on the rear could lead to understeer: understeer is easier to correct. Again that advice when replacing the tyres on one axle was always to put the new tyres on the rear (...and put that part worn pair which had been on the rear to the front)

Andrew

PS I may have got my under/oversteer terms mixed up, but the consistent advice is always put the new tyres on the rear

Tires don't last 70K +

Hi,

I think the Pilot Sport 3 tires were the new ones chosen, not the originals.

When I bought my A2 in 2012 with 107k miles on the clock (2001 registration), the first thing I did was go to my trusted tire place. The owner pointed out that one of my rear tires was manufactured in the year 2000! It may well have been on the car since new and it looked in poor condition with the sidewalls heavily cracked. I can't imagine how that passed an MOT without even an advisory. Needless to say that I left with 4 brand new tires. I think it was a Pirelli P6000.

regards

Andrew

Back