Glow Plugs replaced but hard start!!!

Cuada77

Hi,

I think its my first post here, but I spent a lots of time reading and learning about my A2. Very interesting forum and thanks for all of your sharings about A2s! ;)

I own an Audi A2, 1.4 TDI, 90 bhp, ATL engine, and early this week the Emission Control Light came on.. next day morning no light on the dashboard. The car was starting ok and I asked a friend to run a scanner to find faulty codes. The scanner showed 3 faulty codes, 17055, 19464 and 17664 and were all reseted. The report was showing the code 17055 is related with glow plug and after that I checked all glow plugs and found one faulty with no readings on the multimeter.

I got a new set of 3 Beru glow plugs from Eurocarparts, all replaced and now, in the morning, the car is cranking for a while and then fires up. This morning was 12 degrees and after the 1st fire up, the A2 is starting fine all day!

Any idea whats wrong with my Audi A2?
Could be the other faulty codes affecting the car?

Many Thanks for your help.

Cuada77

I think the 90 has different voltage glow plugs.
Just check they are the right ones.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi,
Thanks chubbybrown for your post. Before get the new glow plugs, I checked the old ones and searched using the car reg plate. So Im assuming I got the right ones!

Guys still need your help, please.

As I mentioned on my previous post, I replaced the glows plugs and then after few days I checked the car battery, using a multimeter, and was not doing well. So, I got a new car battery, 77A, 780 CCA, more power for crancking on a cold morning!

Today I fitted the new battery and still not right.... there is a big cranking, then I have to stop and do it again, more cranking and finally the car starts with some difficulty. As you must have noticed is not cold at all!!! :)

Any ideas whats is causing this?

Thanks

There is a non-return valve in the line from the fuel tank to the tandem pump on the end of the camshaft. If this fails, when you switch off the fuel will fall back to the fuel level of the tank. You can easily check this by removing the inlet line to the pump. It should be full of diesel up to the end; if not suspect the NRV. The liquid pump will struggle to prime itself with the inlet full of vapour. This will not show up as a fault. Cost of the NRV is about £25.

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a non-return valve in the line from the fuel tank to the tandem pump on the end of the camshaft. If this fails, when you switch off the fuel will fall back to the fuel level of the tank. You can easily check this by removing the inlet line to the pump. It should be full of diesel up to the end; if not suspect the NRV. The liquid pump will struggle to prime itself with the inlet full of vapour. This will not show up as a fault. Cost of the NRV is about £25.

RAB

Hi RAB,
Thanks for your reply. As you probably noticed by now, Im not an expert on cars.
Based on your experience, do you think the NRV is causing the problem on my A2? I would like to ask if you know any video on youtube where I can watch how to check the NRV on the tandem pump? If the NRV is faulty, do I have to remove the pump? Do you know where I can find the NRV?
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Problem solved! Drain plug on the fuel filter housing broken when the A2 was serviced! Hopefully, no extra charge and No more cranking! Apparently the drain plug doesn't like to much torque on it....

Thanks.

Cuada77

The drain plug is a small plastic screw, it is rated at 2 Nm and it is very easily broken. You can't buy the screw separately and have to buy a complete housing which is a great expense!

Perhaps there's an opportunity for our 3D Printing Guru's to make some replacement screws?!

Sarge

I wonder if this fault was resolved by a change of drain plug?
I have similar symptoms on my 75 tdi.
Starts first turn then lean cut.
Crank crank crank and away she goes.
Only 1st thing in the morning.

It's yet another thing to check and the list is growing.
I imagine I'll check both pump and filter anyway.

I wonder if this fault was resolved by a change of drain plug?
I have similar symptoms on my 75 tdi.
Starts first turn then lean cut.
Crank crank crank and away she goes.
Only 1st thing in the morning.

It's yet another thing to check and the list is growing.
I imagine I'll check both pump and filter anyway.

If you park on a slope try parking nose down instead of nose up - if this resolves the problem you have a leak in the fuel lines somewhere.

Simon.

Back