Oil Filler - Crankcase Breather Loose

SID

Hello,

Hope someone can advise me here.

I have a A2 1.6 FSI Petrol.

The oil level warning light came on so I decided to top up with oil.

I removed the filler cap, but then noticed when re-fitting it after topping up with oil that the 'sub fitting' - with the crankcase breather fitting was loose.

This was new about 4 months ago and I assume should be a tight fit - as with the oil cap. But it isn't.

Can anyone advise if this is correct?

Many thanks.

Hi you are correct it should be tight. It can be tightened by removing - use a small screw driver to ease the keeper over the tag on the head, then twist. once removed you can add some tension to the spring steel "blade". Once refitted it should be tight and this will help with smooth running as any air leaks will mess with the fuelling. hope this helps mike

Many thanks for your prompt reply Mike.

Now raised some other questions.

When I bought the car, the breather had clearly been previously damaged and held together with a cable tie.
I got my local garage to replace this, and not sure if they replaced the complete filler unit also.

Attached photos before and after.

I've now bent the steel 'blade' and introduced some tension. Now wondering if it's been like this for a long time (runs well!)

Now I notice on the earlier photo that the 'keeper' is further clockwise in the original than it now is. Can you advise which is correct? I think the latter. But maybe the old position is the cause of the problem from a previous owner?

I have also now noticed that the new breather pipe connecting hose is split. So this now needs changing for something which is the correct size. Frustrating!

IMG_1440.jpeg

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 623
Hi you are correct it should be tight. It can be tightened by removing - use a small screw driver to ease the keeper over the tag on the head, then twist. once removed you can add some tension to the spring steel "blade". Once refitted it should be tight and this will help with smooth running as any air leaks will mess with the fuelling. hope this helps mike
Just picking up on an old thread - is this an easy job please Mike? It's just that i checked the oil on Mabel and noticed that it was low. I took the top off to top up and noticed what appeared to be oil spray around the engine bay. I went to take the oil filler top off and noticed that the thing it screws onto was really loose. i assume that the oil is spraying out of here under pressure.

I was going to book it into the garage, but will have a go myself if it is as easy as it sounds.

Amazingly, i have no EML!!!

Many thanks

Teresa

Just picking up on an old thread - is this an easy job please Mike? It's just that i checked the oil on Mabel and noticed that it was low. I took the top off to top up and noticed what appeared to be oil spray around the engine bay. I went to take the oil filler top off and noticed that the thing it screws onto was really loose. i assume that the oil is spraying out of here under pressure.

I was going to book it into the garage, but will have a go myself if it is as easy as it sounds.

Amazingly, i have no EML!!!

Many thanks

Teresa
Hi Teresa it’s abit hard to explain how to do it but it’s super simple :)

If your coming to the evening meal in Mabel I’m more than happy to sort this little issue out for you as it only take 2 minutes :)

@a2sumo post above explains how to do it :)

If you need anymore help just let me know:)

Hi Teresa it’s abit hard to explain how to do it but it’s super simple :)

If your coming to the evening meal in Mabel I’m more than happy to sort this little issue out for you as it only take 2 minutes :)

@a2sumo post above explains how to do it :)

If you need anymore help just let me know:)
Thanks Louis
I'll have a look at the weekend as I'm a little wary of driving her to Birmkngham if she is spraying oil out. Hopefully it will be easy to do.
Thanks again T

Thanks Louis
I'll have a look at the weekend as I'm a little wary of driving her to Birmkngham if she is spraying oil out. Hopefully it will be easy to do.
Thanks again T
If you can’t fix yours Teresa let me know because I think I have a good one here and you can have it for free as it’s just sitting here :)

Back