FK coilovers ?? Non-KONI etc

Kennedy

A2OC Donor
FK ST KW coilovers Non-KONI etc

I've been hesitatant to post this thread as I'm aware there are a number of older and extensive posts regarding suspension, primarily for conventional damper and spring set ups. However, after reading heaps of posts including a lot of historical stuff on other forums and I'm still requiring a few answers.

Has anyone fitted the FK Silverline (non-KONI version) in the last few years??
Over at Europerformance this kit is on at a really accessible price of £524.99 - http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pa...dia2&manufacturer=fksuspension&sub_category=1

...doesn't seem bad especially since it comprises stainless steel components over the entry level stuff.
My question here is how well set up this kit is for the A2 being as it is the non-KONI version but instead uses SACHS dampers (I think) and does not have adjustable damping. In an ideal world I'd go for the KONI equipped FK Silverline X kit but the jump in price puts it out of my range.

I've also read comments from several years back that the FK Silverline kit being sold for the A2 was the same as that sold for the Polo, meaning between all the variations and weights of the cars (including FSI and TDI differences) that the kit would not be tuned particularly well to the car??... but I'd rather hear from anyone that has tried the Silverline kits on an A2 in the last few years to get more insight on the ride quality etc.

Hoping to purchase a kit in the next week if I can make my mind up!

Thanks, Kennedy.

Before anyone posts these, I've already done quite a lot of reading here;

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4727&page=8
http://www.der-a2.de/vbtest/showthread.php?t=22699

Last edited:
Hi i looked into these when researching for "upgrade" suspension. The non koni- sachs dampers have had very poor performance and life span from the youtube videos and other review sites. I like you probably liked the thought of stainless construction knowing how these units have a harsh life living in the wheel wells. The only ones i came close to buying were the silver line x but as you say they are considerably more money.

Do you think you will adjust the height regularly? i just wanted to sit it once and then leave it so would the koni steel versions be better?

I've been looking into coilovers as well because although my car is lowered 25mm already I think the front rides too high and needs to be levelled out.

Considering they are budget coilovers JOM have very good reviews on a number of sites. At £184 with a 12 month warranty they are very good value for money.

me to have been looking at coil over setups but now looking for some opinions I have recently fitted cobra -30 springs with new monroes shocks but find the ride terrible , have noticed when sitting on all fours the progressive coils (tighter coils) bottom out on each other in turn only having 3 coils actually sprung so in effect shockers are almost bottomed out aswell , has anybody experienced this and what is the best setup for these cars
cheers mark

Hi i looked into these when researching for "upgrade" suspension....The only ones i came close to buying were the silver line x but as you say they are considerably more money.

Thanks Sumo, yes I like the look of the Silverline X and it's easier to find reviews on those... £705.35 off Europerformance, hard to justify spending that for my 130K tdi... but I'm still considering it.

Do you think you will adjust the height regularly? i just wanted to sit it once and then leave it so would the koni steel versions be better?

I won't be playing too much but I'll definitely have the wheels on and off a few times to get it levelled off and set how I want it. Then I probably will leave it alone although I like the idea that if the car suffers from some kind of catastrophic failure it'll be easy to remove and reuse on another car!! Steel coilovers will probably be fine, my mk1 jetta runs on a set of VMAXX coilovers which I've waxed and maintained for about 8 years and they still look fine despite doing 35K miles and being exposed to the elements for most of that. - KONI steel versions are £683.99 by the looks of it.

I've been looking into coilovers as well because although my car is lowered 25mm already I think the front rides too high and needs to be levelled out.

Considering they are budget coilovers JOM have very good reviews on a number of sites. At £184 with a 12 month warranty they are very good value for money.

Thanks Steve. Reading all the other A2 suspension posts the formula for that completely level lowered look seems to still be a mystery or involves lots of chopping and changing of components, like you say with yours you've got that extra lift up front, I think that's why I'm considering going straight in for coilovers. I'll check those JOM ones out too, have you got a link to where you've spotted those Steve.

Sumo, if you can remember where you've seen more in depth reviews on the FK Silverlines (non-KONI) please share a link.

Kennedy.

JOM are available through ebay. Do some research but all the reviews I saw sounded quite positive.

Thanks for responses, still having a look around and think my other option aside from the £200 JOM's or the KW Silverlines at around the £500 price tag is this kit;

http://www.venommotorsport.com/product/suspension/SU51313/

... ST X 30-50mm (by KW) coilover kit currently on Venom for £539.00 inclusive of vat (best price I can find at the mo)...

This kit isn't covered in the A2OC threads I don't think but correct me if I'm wrong.

So same question really, anyone had any experience of the ST X kits on A2's or similar? - less negative reviews than on the FK kits and from what I can gather these kits comprise of the same components of the KW set up but without damper adjustment or stainless housings - instead you get rust treated galvanised struts and components, seem okay.

Kennedy.

Lowtec do a Coilover kit to suit A2 in this price range. They also offer a stainless setup. Quality is comparable to that of Bilstein or H&R entry stuff.

With that budget my setup would be KAW 50mm spring with a Bilstein B8 for the front and a KAW 30mm rear spring with a Bilstein B6 rear. I have no first hand experience of this setup but it is what I want to try when the higher priority jobs are out the way.

ST suspension produce an adjustable front coilover and fixed rear spring setup in this range too. These get very good reviews for the price point!

All, on topic, off thread... ...

I can understand front fitment of coil overs as a direct replacement. What happens at the rear?

Thanks

Lowtec do a Coilover kit to suit A2 in this price range. They also offer a stainless setup. Quality is comparable to that of Bilstein or H&R entry stuff.

With that budget my setup would be KAW 50mm spring with a Bilstein B8 for the front and a KAW 30mm rear spring with a Bilstein B6 rear. I have no first hand experience of this setup but it is what I want to try when the higher priority jobs are out the way.

ST suspension produce an adjustable front coilover and fixed rear spring setup in this range too. These get very good reviews for the price point!

Tobecomecarrion, thanks for signposting another possible kit, I'll check out the Lowtec kit and see how it compares to the FK and ST kits for sure... I was originally going to go down the Bilstein B8 route myself (still not ruling them out) mainly for solid and reliable build quality and the fact it's a bit more affordable to drop the car on those - as highlighted above though just a bit concerned I won't quite get the car low enough and level enough for my tastes and then I'll have to start swapping and modding the static setup until I get it how I want it. Still leaning towards coils :cool:

All, on topic, off thread... ...

I can understand front fitment of coil overs as a direct replacement. What happens at the rear?

Thanks

Pretty clear picture of the rear spring seat and separate damper configuration of the FK Silverline-X kit in this post on the German forum;

https://a2-freun.de/forum/forums/topic/9296-fk-silverline-x-gewindefahrwerk-eingebaut/

...if you use Chrome and Google translate the page is just about readable.

Something to note further down in the above thread (which i read somewhere else too) is a sleeve can be fitted over the struts to protect from dirt and water ingress which can easily damage the components, a BMW part is recommended - Part No. 32111118688... something else to consider whichever coilover kit I go for.

Kennedy.

Nearly all parts are in!

I've accumulated an array of components and replacement parts to do the upgrade on my TDI90 suspension, pretty much the sports suspension will be removed as complete units while complete new assemblies go in, if you're going to do a job....

And the coilover kit going in?...

...in the end I went for the ST X kit by KW, basically all the benefits of the KW Variant 1 kit but without the stainless housings as I just didn't want to stretch to that cost, so I've scrimped and taken the galvanised versions (which to be honest look absolutely top notch finish anyway).

I'll let you know how the suspension project develops. :cool:

Kennedy.

Looking forward to seeing this develop. Coilovers are on my list, all I need to do now is to figure out how to convince the council to drop the pavement a bit outside my works carpark :)

Looking forward to seeing this develop. Coilovers are on my list, all I need to do now is to figure out how to convince the council to drop the pavement a bit outside my works carpark :)

Stealthy night concreting perhaps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A couple of chunks of wood in the gutter will do the job (LOL)

Steve B

Have just picked up Pro sport coil over kit with drop links.

Not sure if the long term reliability but reviews seen decent and anything has to be better than standard worn out of suspension :)

Do I still need bump stops? Old ones worm out.

Have just picked up Pro sport coil over kit with drop links.

Not sure if the long term reliability but reviews seen decent and anything has to be better than standard worn out of suspension :)

Do I still need bump stops? Old ones worm out.

The Pro Sport kit probably comes with bump stops designed specifically for the damper travel so you'll probably be alright, but if it doesnt you might as well put new ones in rather than recycle crusty ones into your new set-up. You might have to cut them slightly if going very low.

I'm changing the rubber/foam upper and lower rear spring mounts on the rear too as the cost is fairly low, Audi will do all 4 pieces for less than £30 and probably they can be sourced as Febi OE replacements or similar for a bit less than that. Again you may find the existing ones are okay but in my case I'm just thinking I'd rather replace all these fairly low cost bits as I go so I can rule them out if I have any future knocking or handling issues.

You should get the option to go lower than me with the Pro Sport kit, I've got a feeling with the KW ST X kit at maximum wind-down my tyres will be just lower than the arch lip but nothing lower than that... we'll see when I get around to fitting.

Kennedy.

The Pro Sport kit probably comes with bump stops designed specifically for the damper travel so you'll probably be alright, but if it doesnt you might as well put new ones in rather than recycle crusty ones into your new set-up. You might have to cut them slightly if going very low.

I'm changing the rubber/foam upper and lower rear spring mounts on the rear too as the cost is fairly low, Audi will do all 4 pieces for less than £30 and probably they can be sourced as Febi OE replacements or similar for a bit less than that. Again you may find the existing ones are okay but in my case I'm just thinking I'd rather replace all these fairly low cost bits as I go so I can rule them out if I have any future knocking or handling issues.

You should get the option to go lower than me with the Pro Sport kit, I've got a feeling with the KW ST X kit at maximum wind-down my tyres will be just lower than the arch lip but nothing lower than that... we'll see when I get around to fitting.

Kennedy.

Don't suppose you have part numbers handy?

OEM Bump stops needed for rear I've been told.

Yeah my ST X kit instructs to use the OEM rear bumpstops but there are a couple of shortened options without going too extreme and compromising the stuts... I'm working that out for mine now. The sport rear bumstop is 8Z0 512 131C which is 100mm I think. I read somewhere on here that a 67mm 6Q0 512 131D bumpstop can be used too...

Part numbers for most of the ancillary bits and bobs can be seen listed here... http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?27044-The-Definitive-Suspension-Parts-List

Upper rear spring mounts (Sport and SE) and lower rear spring mounts are listed on the above, I think they are available as genuine or Febi/Meyle from AVS car parts for a few quid less than Audi dealerships and the guys there are fairly knowledgeable.

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/a2suspension_rear.php

I'll probably get those ordered today although I'm not actually sure if the adjustable rear spring perches need to sit on a lower mount, I think some folks just take the lower one off so its metal on metal? - not sure if this will cause knocking noises etc but it's easy to add them/take them out anyway.

Kennedy

Back