Returning Owner

fizgig1

Hello everyone,

I have literally just bought an A2!

It's a 2002, 1.4d SE in kinda light blue.

I previously had a 1.4 petrol A2 a few years back but had to sell it because of my increasing mileage.
Always enjoyed nipping about in it.

An opportunity presented itself today to buy one via private sale. Heart leading head rather than brain I bought it!

It's a bit tatty and I will need to get some bits of trim etc, not least a parcel shelf but hopefully it won't turn out to be a huge mistake.

I look forward to reacquainting myself over the next few weeks with all the information contained within this excellent owners forum and no doubt ask you guys and gals some stupid questions as I am not at all mechanically minded.

Good evening all.

Fiz

Last edited:
Welcome back to A2 world. Its amazing how people leave but end up behind the wheel of an A2. cheers mike

Thanks chaps.

What an amazing resource this forum is. Digging through some of the old old threads to find answers to my many questions! Lots of "little" fixes required it has been such a help.

Just out of interest, I had a quote for £600+ for a bumper respray (a few scuffs on each corner) does that sound reasonable to you chaps?

Cheers

Fiz

That is absolutely ridiculous, I can get an entire resprayed for £600

As an example the cost of the paint is £10 for 1/2 litre way more than is needed for a bumper, if it is a base (Solid colour) then that is all that is required, if it is metallic then add another £10 for the clear lacquer.
There will also be primer, so say another £10 max.
(all of these are 2 pack paints)

So the rest is labour, say 1/2 hour to remove the bumper, plus 1/2 hour to refit the bumper (this may not be needed, only necessary if the bumper is badly marked all over), then say a further couple of hours to rub down, file/stopper, prime and paint
That is some hourly rate !!!

I would have expected £200 to £250 depending on the level of damage

Cheers,

Totally agree with the above from Paul. It's more akin to a quote you might get from a tradesman who is quoting well over the top for a job needed doing on your house because they don't want the job but should they get it their quids in and laughing all the way to the bank.£600 is a joke!

Welcome - I have a retractable parcel shelf available mate if that's what your after. All funds from sale going towards sons project!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks chaps.

Good insight Paul, much appreciated.

Thanks for the offer Kaine but I have managed to pick one up.

I am sure there will be further questions as I work my way around the car tidying it up, for which I'll post on a new thread.
Interesting the increase in parts prices reading back through the "how to" threads.!

Back