best / most reliable bluetooth upgrade?

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
costs seem to vary from 20 quid to 150 quid

i think one of the cheapest ones didn't have a mic for the handsfree phone use but other than that they all appear to do the same thing...

I'm looking for the ones that plug into the back of headunit into the external cd changer port...

using the buttons on stereo to skip forward and backward on songs is something I'd like as well as pressing button on stereo to answer or hangup phone.

i have a 2001 A2 with Symphony 1 double din head unit...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Bluet...177932?hash=item33c4635b8c:g:a1UAAOSwB09YSjVy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YT-BTA-Bl...953014?hash=item3f74b4e9b6:g:X6gAAOSwnHZYkKC2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A2-A...613749?hash=item33cf802475:g:QTMAAOSwBLlU2k3E

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A2-1...164030?hash=item3a998b91be:g:pZsAAOSw6EhURAZ9

Good morning,

Although the most expensive in your list I can only speak of your fourth link, Xcarlink SKU718.

I have it fitted to a Chorus (single DIN radio/tape) and works perfectly streaming both music and hands free calling.

Its a simple 5 minute install with no special tools required. Connects into the external CD Changer port yet still allows for the external CD Changer still being plugged in.

The best part was to come after having Bose retro fitted by Tom (Timmus) as the sound produced by the Bose system is by far more superior in quality at higher levels. After the retrofit I was keen to test the sound quality delivered by the improved audio system and I must say that the sound transmitted by the Xcarlink was just as clear as before but now has superior crisp quality at higher levels.

Test of time: I commute 600 miles a week (44 weeks a year) and enjoy listening to music streamed from Deezer on my iPhone to my Chorus via the Xcarlink with the daily call on the way home to the wife and kids. Thats over 26'000 miles a year commuting alone and the Xcarlink has ben faultless. Would one of the cheaper alternatives do as well, I don't know.

Im sure someone will be along in the morning to give their verdict on the Connects2 (your third link) as I understand that also to be another option used by members.

Hopefully someone could also vouch for the cheaper alternatives but I stick with the 'you get what you pay for' and 'buy cheap buy twice' philosophy you often hear quoted.

Good luck with your decision.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks Tom...

I'm tempted to try the 48 quid box...

the higher the cost of the other ones makes my gadget-itice syndrome kick in and I'd be tempted to get a double din android computer or Apple CarPlay stereo installed... heh heh...

With my France trip looming super quick, I realised that my Concert II did not have Bluetooth and searched the forum for a good solution.
The Xcarlink SKU718 looked interesting but there was little info on installation on youtube.

I kept going back to the eBay link and trying to justify the £100+ price tag.
I then remembered ages ago I had a thing called an iTrip FM Transmitter for my white iPod which transmitted the iPhone sound via FM, plus it worked amazingly well. Could I find it? No.

So I started looking for a Bluetooth Option which had an FM transmitter attached including charging capacity.

I found this:-
Nulaxy Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter Radio Adapter Car Kit W USB Charger Support USB Flash Drive Micro SD Car

61MTmxXCmFL._SL1000_.jpg

It's got pretty good ratings and it's portable too.
When my daughter is in the back she can possibly control the stereo if she wants to or just charge her iPad if she wants while we are listening to other stuff.
The other USB port is can be used for charging or use a USB stick too, so hopefully it has enough features to work well.

It comes tomorrow so I'll report back if it's any good.

Last edited:
I have now tested the device.

Tuning it on you get Audible notifications in American English was a surprise but also welcome.
You can also turn off the device but leave it plugged in which is a good feature for the A2.
The connection to the phone takes seconds and plays through whichever FM channel you have assigned on the device and stereo. 87.5 is the default and works really well with barely any hiss.
Once playing the sound is fabulous and you would not know you were transmitting the signal via FM.
You can plug in USB sticks and micro SD cards and control them with the mode button, or just use the phone or other bluetooth able device to play the sound to the car.
The onboard microphone and the position of the cigarette lighter on the A2 are optimal for telephone conversations and Siri instructions.
The cupholder is the perfect place to slot my iPhone SE (with lifeproof case) into and is viewable without distraction.

You can access music and phone controls directly on the device or with any bluetooth enabled device/phone.
So super happy with my £16 purchase.

IMG_4947.jpg

IMG_4948.jpg

IMG_4951.jpg

I have now tested the device.

Tuning it on you get Audible notifications in American English was a surprise but also welcome.
You can also turn off the device but leave it plugged in which is a good feature for the A2.
The connection to the phone takes seconds and plays through whichever FM channel you have assigned on the device and stereo. 87.5 is the default and works really well with barely any hiss.
Once playing the sound is fabulous and you would not know you were transmitting the signal via FM.
You can plug in USB sticks and micro SD cards and control them with the mode button, or just use the phone or other bluetooth able device to play the sound to the car.
The onboard microphone and the position of the cigarette lighter on the A2 are optimal for telephone conversations and Siri instructions.
The cupholder is the perfect place to slot my iPhone SE (with lifeproof case) into and is viewable without distraction.

You can access music and phone controls directly on the device or with any bluetooth enabled device/phone.
So super happy with my £16 purchase.

View attachment 30326

View attachment 30327

View attachment 30328

@AudA2Numpty Very interested in the solution you've gone with here, as the yanking out the head unit and wires seems like a longer term project for when I look into an Android screen.

Could I ask, is it still working ok for you with the A2, and did you ever try it with Android?

I have the Audi Symphony stereo, wondering if it'll work as well as it did on your Comcert?

I also notice the model you noted seems to be no longer available on Amazon, though this product seems very similar? :

【2018 New】FM Transmitter, Nulaxy Wireless In Car FM Transmitter Bluetooth Car MP3 Music Player Radio Audio Adapter Car Kit with Power on/off button , 6 EQ Mode, 3D Curve Screen https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0778HJVQZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6CVSDbPHY5XRG

Hi,

Yep the model I have is still going strong in the Audi A2.

It's been used with iPhone SEs and now a Samsung s8, Note 8 and Note 9 with no problems.

One odd thing though. If I am listening to a podcast it sometimes stops playing for no reason with the iPhone.

The Samsungs have no probs and sound great.
As long as you have a decent clear FM signal from the device to the car it sounds great.

Yep that seems like the updated version of mine. Great piece of kit, our one, plus it provides fast charging possibilities for my daughter in the back.

I have the AnyCarLink 1080-B, from Amazon, £72.25. Got one in the A2, and one in my Mk1 TT. Kit includes hands free mic and HU puller keys. BT, SD Card, USB Thumb Drive, plug and play. What's not to like? Good value, considering what you get, and functionality imo. Mac.

FM quality will be quite a bit worse than good bluetooth or AUX surely. It is less hassle but with bose, using cheaper bluetooth to aux adapter is very noticeable worse, same for cassette aux adapter - CD or aux in to the cd changes that anycarlink uses produces much better sound.

I've not fitted my anycarlink yet but i hear bluetooth quality is quite good on these though only being bluetooth 2.0 i believe.

FM quality will be quite a bit worse than good bluetooth or AUX surely. It is less hassle but with bose, using cheaper bluetooth to aux adapter is very noticeable worse, same for cassette aux adapter - CD or aux in to the cd changes that anycarlink uses produces much better sound.

I've not fitted my anycarlink yet but i hear bluetooth quality is quite good on these though only being bluetooth 2.0 i believe.

I bought this and it’s excellent, really impressed to be honest. My xcarlink isn’t as good quality wise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back