Rubbing scraping noise on my FSI

Trimley61

A2OC Donor
I have just noticed a noise on my car which although isn't very loud wasn't there before. It could be described as a slight scraping/rubbing noise coming from drivers side wheel area. It is apparent on starting up car and can be heard more when slowing down to stop. Probably there all the time but once car is moving faster I guess the engine noise drowns it out slightly. Also I have leaks in both footwells and am having screen people come round to inspect on Friday. Screen fitted about 10months ago and when fitting new mats noticed main carpets sodden wet.

If you pour water over the bonnet water doesn't come in straight away but when car moves up a hill or sharp bend water comes through. Hope Nationwide windscreens upon inspection don't try to dent its not their fault as there is nothing wrong with the air con unit or heater matrix.

Any ideas on what either problems could be would be most appreciated!

James.

For the scraping noise it may just be a stone caught between the disc and thin metal backplate.
Sometimes reversing can dislodge a stone but if the noise persists have it checked out

If you have Open Sky, sometimes the roof drain channels can block and cause water ingress

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Thanks Spike for the advice. Hope it as simple as a stone between the disc and backplate. as that would be an easy option to fix. Will try what you said and if not get it checked out next week. I don't have Open Sky so will have to see what Nationwide windscreens say when they inspect my car on Friday.
Enjoy the weekend and thanks again.

James.

Damp carpets: I suggest that you check the air intake plenum drains in the bonnet. If these block then rainwater may overflow into the heater / aircon intake. My bonnet was very heavy when this happened with the weight of trapped water. Also check that the under-floor boxes haven't got wet. Access these by lifting the carpets and turning the 3 toggle clips 90 deg. The triangular bare metal covers then pull up. The passenger side has the ECU and CCCU electronics boxes in it, these can be destroyed by damp.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damp carpets: I suggest that you check the air intake plenum drains in the bonnet. If these block then rainwater may overflow into the heater / aircon intake. My bonnet was very heavy when this happened with the weight of trapped water. Also check that the under-floor boxes haven't got wet. Access these by lifting the carpets and turning the 3 toggle clips 90 deg. The triangular bare metal covers then pull up. The passenger side has the ECU and CCCU electronics boxes in it, these can be destroyed by damp.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Google water in footwells Audi A2, lots of info on forum, other members have had simaler problems.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Hi Matt, how do you check to see the air intake plenum drains are blocked? Sounds a bit obvious, but is it hard to clean them to ascertain if they are blocked? Checked under floor boxes and have a little water in them, so have been dried out with no apparent obvious damage.
Thanks James.

NDZkMzA1ZjQ3YzljODBlMTkwYTIwZmNlOTIwMWY0OTdF6yk5AzghS7IDB4pCkpAvaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZTA5ZDU4MzUwNzIxNTg2MzA2ZjcwMDJkOGE0NTc3ZTJhN2M3NzdlYjk3YzcwMWQ0MmY1N2I2ZGEyN2U3NGFkZi5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NDY2fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Check the 2 rain tubes on underside of bonnett as seen in picture and cups in engine bay are not blocked.
If window screen as been replaced recently there could be water coming in if not fitted and sealed correctly

Last edited:
I cant check the bonnet out as now the release lever has come loose and wont pop open the service flap! James.

I have had garage sort out the bonnet problem this morning and refixed the cable which had come adrift somehow! Didn't even charge me which was good of them. And just had a new exhaust fitted so car running better now. Tomorrow having new rear brake caliper done. And Friday inspecting the windscreen for leaks! It all seems to happen at once but car will be 100% very soon!
James.

Back