Audi A2 1.4 TDI Radiator Fan Constany Running

rgh-key

Hello Everyone, wondered if anyone had experienced this problem before?

My radiator fan is constantly running, as soon as you turn the key to the Aux position you can hear the fan spinning up. At first I thought it was to do with the AirCon system, however it makes no difference if I turn that on or off the fan is still running.

I wasn't sure if this was a normal occourance or a common fault, because it's running all the time it takes a lifetime for the car to get to normal running temp.

Any info or advise on this would be extremely useful.

Sounds like a faulty radiator fan control unit. Easy part to change and relatively cheap. I have 3 or 4 available.

Even if you sort out that problem (and it does need to be sorted) you will probably need to replace your engine thermostat too.

If the car is taking an age to warm up the fan running should have little or no effect on that.

When the engine is cold the thermostat blocks off the flow to the radiator and so even with the fan running constantly it should not prevent the engine from warming up in the normal period of time.

Does the temperature eventually get up to 90? or does it stay less than that. (if so then the thermostat is definitely stuck open).

Steve B

I will have a look at that once the fan is sorted, I am used to petrol engines and they heat up a lot faster than Diesel engines so I am not sure if that is a problem at the moment, the radiator pipes only get hot once the thermostat opens which seems to be working at the moment, I think the fan just cools the water to quickly as soon as it opens the thermostat it's crash cooling the coolant and then the thermostat will obviously close again, I know that a normal running engine at temp should have the thermostat open

I am a little puzzled guys, had a look under the bonnet today to replace the fan control unit only to find that there isn't one? The wiring from the fan goes straight into the wiring loom. Any ideas?

I have some information to add to this post, it turns out my A2 does not have Air Conditioning so therefore there is no fan control unit just a thermal switch that's fitted into the radiator bottom hose. I am finishing it difficult to find one of these has anyone got one before or is it a Dealer specific part?

Back