Choose two...

KekseKaempfer

A2OC Donor
I know an absolute dead cert for a vote here, but...

New beetle, 100000miles runs perfectly, emotional attachment. Had it from new. Does mainly short journeys. 1.8t petrol
A2. 200000miles gearbox whiney, does miles. Other half doesn't like it. Tdi90. Has issues, but still a classic in my eyes and I drive it most.
I3. Probably a second hand Rex.

Go....

That is undecided.... That's the problem...

Much as it's not ' A2 loyal ' to suggest this - I'd move on the A2 if it's got problems and you want an i3. Why sell an owned since new beetle with no issues?

There's no fear that you'll leave the community as the next time you need to load up those scaffolding poles you moved last year - you'll be looking for another A2 again!!

Agree with Murdo, keep the beetle, sell the A2 and get an i3. Although with the price you will probably get on part ex for the A2 you could just keep it as an ornament.

Agree with Murdo, keep the beetle, sell the A2 and get an i3. Although with the price you will probably get on part ex for the A2 you could just keep it as an ornament.

Very true unfortunately. Not A2 related and a wee swerve (sorry) - however I got talking to a nice gent at the local tyre fitting place who had an owned from new Mondeo TDCI. 55 plate with 92k miles on it . I struck up conversation as the car was in such pristine condition. He d recently got it priced as a part exchange against a new Focus. The PX offer from the Ford dealer? ..................................Fifty pounds!!:eek:

Last edited:
Perhaps I should have qualified a little...

The A2 is a great car, and runs brilliantly. The gearbox issue has been there from when i got it and does not appear to be getting worse, but who can tell?.The other issues are the glow plugs (2 snapped off) and a blow on the flexi somewhere, along with niggly things like the alarm going off all the time, which i fixed by disconnecting the glass sensor. All in all, although it has issues, they are plainly things that don't bother me at all and the car still keeps chugging out 65mpg regardless. Passes MOT every year

The Beetle has given no major problems other than the ususal VW failures, MAF, temp sender, coil packs, new ARB bushes (new ARB). etc.

My dilemma is which one is going to cost me the next big ticket? At this point in time I can't see my self wanting to spend a grand or so on a car to keep it going (again), when niether are currently worth that much in the market.

The idea of the i3 was to make it cheap(ish) to get me to work and back, but £20K is a lot of diesel for the A2, and of course the mileage on the car would make it probably worth a lot less in say 3 years, I'd lose a fair bit i'd say.

So then do we replace the beetle and get an i3 for the other half to knock about in. For the 4k a year mileage is it really worth the outlay. Given that my yearly diesel bill would remain.

I'm surprised no one said keep the Beetle and the A2, forget the I3. I would keep the (an) A2 if i had space in the garage, but there's a bloody MG Midget in there that I still haven't got around to finishing. And then where do I put the MK1 Golf GTI.

Is this a midlife crisis? :)

Last edited:
That makes the "we buy any car" A2 benchmark of around £1000 look good then !.

Slight swerve on the post but very slightly relevant, saw a advert from my local Renault dealer offering £5000 min part ex on there scrappage scheme against a new megane! 0% finance and zero deposit, this will surely tempt people to chop in there old cars, and other dealers/makes will surely follow suit!

I'd keep the beetle and A2 till one of them needs that 1,000 quid repair...

Then depending what it is I'd spend 1,000 or 2,000 on another A2

As you touched on, depreciation on the BMW is also a significant cost...

You could probably squeeze another 100,000 miles out of your A2 maybe more...

Also, how does your partner feel about the MG in the garage? Would selling the Beetle help get it on the road?

Last edited:
Back