Gearbox oil change

1.4 tdi 2001 model does any one no the gearbox capacity and oil grade
Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From historical posts it appears that around 1.5 litre (perhaps a touch more, depending oh how well you drain it)

One oil that was recommended was Castrol TAF-X SAE 75W-90 API:GL4 VW501 50

Someone else used Mobil Mobilube 1 SHC 75W-90, but 75W - 90 seems to be correct.

Steve B

Cheers mate thank you did you have a look at my other question about anti roll bar ?

Cheers mate thank you did you have a look at my other question about anti roll bar ?

I did, but I cannot add much help, sorry.

I am just aware of the two main types of ARB and that they have different diameter bushes, but that doesn't help you much.

Steve B

I changed mine 2 years ago. It was 1.7 litres and recommended at the time was VW Bluemotion gearbox oil.

resurrecting a recent thread....

im currently doing a gearbox oil change and have checked posts an images about the fill hole and the drain hole. i seen an image with red circles showing which is which however, when i removed the screw for the drain hole (blue arrow) nothing came out so i opened up the 2 bolts with the black plastic parts (peach arrow) and viola oil came out.

did i do something wrong here? if not, can someone remove that photo as its misleading. i will post a photo to show you what bolts i removed.

IMG_20171005_120530_resized_20171005_120545995.jpg

cheers

neither of them are the drain hole!

its the same size nut as the filling hole. the drain screw is under a bracket on the bottom of the engine.
held on with 3 nuts - undo them and slide the bracket down to expose the drain plug

quick image I found for rough location:
transmission_VR6_fill%2Bdrain_holes.JPG

Last edited:
nice, I wasn't able to bend that bracket away that much. mine only moved enough for me to get a socket on the nut.

I had to use a really long breaker bar to undo the drain plug - it felt the whole engine moved a bit.

gearbox oil all changed. i reckon nearly 2 ltr came out and mixed slightly with water!

what i have noticed is that 3rd gear no longer crunches however, when i tried to change to 4th its as if its stuck half way from neutral meaning i have to double clutch to unstick it for me to use 4th. hope this makes sense :/

any ideas what could cause this? could the gear cables need adjusting? not sure if i want to open a can of worms here lol

cheers

gearbox oil all changed. i reckon nearly 2 ltr came out and mixed slightly with water!

what i have noticed is that 3rd gear no longer crunches however, when i tried to change to 4th its as if its stuck half way from neutral meaning i have to double clutch to unstick it for me to use 4th. hope this makes sense :/

any ideas what could cause this? could the gear cables need adjusting? not sure if i want to open a can of worms here lol

cheers

Hi Cammy,

It sounds like you need to adjust your cables, it is not as difficult as it seems, just check out the many U Tube videos showing how to do it. Also look in the "How To" index section.

Steve B

A2 folks

I'm about to change the gearbox oil and see I need a large allen key to undo both the drain plug and fill point.

Does anybody happen to know what size I need?

And is it the same for both?

I just took a look and have a largeish 12mm allen socket which is way too small so I'm guessing about 18 or 20mm?

Cheers!

Ok I found it in the 'How To' section - thought that referred to petrol models only but seems 17mm hex is common to both.

Cheers!

An update on this for anyone else undertaking the task of gearbox oil change on the Tdi 75.

I found a section of garden hose with small funnel attached set up to allow pouring of the gear oil (API GL-4 75W 90 spec) from the engine bay.

Took about 1.6 - 1.7 litres to top up.

I will be pleased to never ever have to smell that oil again. It is completely minging - particularly the dirty crappy stuff that comes out.

The result is pleasing though, gear change feels way nicer and exact :)

An update on this for anyone else undertaking the task of gearbox oil change on the Tdi 75.

I found a section of garden hose with small funnel attached set up to allow pouring of the gear oil (API GL-4 75W 90 spec) from the engine bay.

Took about 1.6 - 1.7 litres to top up.

I will be pleased to never ever have to smell that oil again. It is completely minging - particularly the dirty crappy stuff that comes out.

The result is pleasing though, gear change feels way nicer and exact :)

Was that 1.6-1.7 litres following a drain of the old oil? If so, you might find you've not put enough in - normally it takes around 1.9 litres I've found, having done 20-30 gearbox oil changes. And personally, I quite like the smell of transmission oil - the genuine Audi stuff is lovely! Mind you, I quite often can be found sniffing tyres at car and bike shows.

That's the one. However, factory spec is 2 litres capacity, and I've always managed around 1.8 minimum. There's always some trapped behind the baffle between 4th and 5th

View attachment 32202

Appreciate that info, thanks, I'll get back under it tomorrow and see if more will fit in. Looks like I may have pulled out a little prematurely!

Back